Camera buying new dslr suggestions please..

I think adder has summed things up nicely. :)

Just to add though that in case you do get the NEX, it doesn't come with a telezoom lens like the 50-200mm lenses.

If you get the Sony double kit - 18-55mm + 55-200mm lenses then you can get a Minolta 50mm f1.7 easily in the used market.

Sony also has a 18-250mm lens which is optically as good as the Nikon/Canon equivalents but does not focus as fast as the Nikon/Canon 18-200mm lenses.

thanks all :)

i really appreciate it :)

now there s a 99% possibility that im getting the cam from the states..im a bit inclined to the 500d because of its af motor in body and my friends "not so good" xp with d5000..lets see what deal he gets,d5000 is also a good cam imo..

and on the other hand if i have to buy this from kolkata(very faint possibility) im gonna buy the 1000d with some lenses..there s a huge collection of lenses available.. even cheap 3rd party lenses..so im gonna overlook the video and the size nd the sharp jpgs of the oly and go with the more flexible low light cam :)

wats say guys?nd 500d over d5000?

^just bought a d5000 for my cousin of ebay india - deals of the week. 33k with 2 yr india warranty on 6 month 0% emi. he received it yesterday. the deal expires tonight. thought u might be interested. also, a nikon EVIL cam might be announced tomorrow.

Given the choice , i would pick 500d over d5000. Its a good overall package. Both are capable cameras, its canon that as a brand has edge in race.
Do let us know of your deal.

@saayan - if you're getting the camera from the US, the Pentax K-X is 629$ at Amazon right now, with an 18-55 and 55-300 lens. Has some of the best high-ISO output out there right now, nearly as good as the D700. Tons of old manual Pentax primes available across eBay and B&M shops in India. I got a 50mm 1.4 prime for 1k in Bombay.

tnx again guys for your views...i have no brand preference...and one update im 100% buying this from us :)

saw a few reviews of the k-x the best iso performance among these cams..but the support in india is questionable...so m a little reluctant..

im now considering the a33 after 500d because of its in body stabilization nd af motor..how does it compare to d5000..i have found no reviews only 1 for a55...n how will be the d3100?

i was all gung ho for the a55 / a33 of sony till i saw the video where you can so visibly hear the lens move and also i read reports of a) ghosting and b) heating , so give it a while and then see what is happening to it

@saayan: seems you are getting confused in selecting your first dslr. Its obvious with your budget as there are several offerings available with new additions being done very recently.
IMO, as its going to be your first dslr, all are going to give you good images as long as you know how to take pictures. All manufacturers whether canikon, oly,sony or pentax bring out products after working thoroughly over them.
Its after sales support and lens that should also be considered.
If hd video is high on ur priority, then consider A33 or D3100 only as these offer continuous AF while recording as well.

right absolutely :(..

u get confused when u ve researched nothing or researched a bit too much :p..the second one is true for me..

now im inclined to get the 1000d +bag+telephoto lens (dont know which one might be the 75-300 one non IS)

ive again researched nd found the sony slt s have poor battery life...500d has about 100-120 shots less than 450d with the inclusion of digic4 proc and 92Xk resolution screen.the no of shots gets 1/3 using live view..all i get is extra 3mp s no noticeable improvement in iq nd video which is not my priority..1000d 450d 500d all use the same battery.but the price of the 450d is too close to the 500d..

as im very new i think i might just consider the 1000d with two lenses filters nd a bag ~650-670$.

i am considering the canon dslr s because of the 50mm prime which i can get as low as 4800/- brand new..

views please...

Well i think 1000d is quite old,if you are worried about no of shots /battery charge,have a look at sony A580/560 have the same sensor sensor as in SLT but have whopping 1050 shots/charge thats extra 500 shots more then canon ,its speed is also slightly faster .

saayan said:
right absolutely :(..

u get confused when u ve researched nothing or researched a bit too much :p..the second one is true for me..

now im inclined to get the 1000d +bag+telephoto lens (dont know which one might be the 75-300 one non IS)

ive again researched nd found the sony slt s have poor battery life...500d has about 100-120 shots less than 450d with the inclusion of digic4 proc and 92Xk resolution screen.the no of shots gets 1/3 using live view..all i get is extra 3mp s no noticeable improvement in iq nd video which is not my priority..1000d 450d 500d all use the same battery.but the price of the 450d is too close to the 500d..

as im very new i think i might just consider the 1000d with two lenses filters nd a bag ~650-670$.

i am considering the canon dslr s because of the 50mm prime which i can get as low as 4800/- brand new..

views please...
You are right about the battery life, but Sony A560 as mentioned^^ would be better

Do check on sony prime/zoom, they will probably be expensive.

For the lens, you'll get a canon 55-250mm , or a sigma 70-300 APO DG lens, you need IS at 300 mm :)

I am not smart enough to comment on the 1000d vs 450d vs 500d dilemma. :bleh:

Anything with live view will suck the battery like. But if you buy anything with a viewfinder, you will use it for sure, its soo much nicer.

Get a Canon 500D.

Sony and Nikon lenses are too costly comparatively AFAIK, unless something has changed in last few months.

sayaan .. please post what u have finally decided on .. i too am sitting on the fence... at least u are sure about going for one of those 3 models.. i am still contemplating between a prosumer and dslr given my miniscule budget

PrAnKsTeR I was also in the dilemma like you are confused between 1000D and 500D but went ahead and bought the 1000D its just 21k and the money saved can be used on the more important things that are the lenses, IMHO 1000D is a pretty good camera if you are okay with no video and yes the cannon lenses are comparatively cheaper than Nikon or sony.

The only thing where the 500D scores above 1000D is video recording, can go higher ISO 3200 vs 1600 ISO on 1000D and if you require higher mega pixels than 10. What I have learned in the last few days playing with the DSLR is that they produce great quality pictures but its not the features in the camera but its you who is a limiting factor most of the time unless you are a pro.

hi all...

ordered xs with kit lens+lowepro bag+75-300 lll lens(not a fond of this lens but it came with package with a very low price tag)~679$

also taking 16gb sandisk sd card and uv + cpl filters :)

will buy the nifty fifty,close up, wide filters,nd filter from kolkata...im buying those filters because i dont have the money to buy dedicated macro lens :(..

any thought on that??

p.s:-im getting these on oct 1st :) :)

saayan said:
hi all...

ordered xs with kit lens+lowepro bag+75-300 lll lens(not a fond of this lens but it came with package with a very low price tag)~679$

also taking 16gb sandisk sd card and uv + cpl filters :)

will buy the nifty fifty,close up, wide filters,nd filter from kolkata...im buying those filters because i dont have the money to buy dedicated macro lens :(..

any thought on that??

p.s:-im getting these on oct 1st :) :)
links please ?????????

the offer has expired i think...it was from bestbuy..i actually ordered it two days earlier..couldnt post it then because TE was down :(

Back