Android Buying the Galaxy S4? but WHICH ONE?

Husi

Recruit
Hello all. This is a discussion thread about different versions Galaxy S4.
There are three main Variants of Galaxy S4 as of now:
US based version, i9505 (Quadcore Snapdragon)
International Version, i9500 (Octacore Exynos)
Google Version (Quadcore Snapdragon)
[Im not counting the Korean Version that is Octacore with LTE support or yet to be announced Galaxy S4 Activ]

As some might see it as an advantage to have loads of options to chose from, it can be annoying for the buyers as they get confused as well as developers because its frustrating to code for so many different variants.
In this post I'll be telling you the advantages and disadvantages of each model and hopefully help you make up your mind about which model suits you the best.
Also, feel free to share your opinions, ask questions etc.

The Quadcore Version (i9505)
It is powered by a Snapdragon 600 processor clocked at 1.9 Ghz. Samsung says 70% of the Galaxy S4s will be powered by this chip.

Pros:
- This handset will supposedly enjoy the most Development Support!(hacker's paradise)
- Relatively cheaper
- LTE support (shouldnt matter to Indians)

Cons:
- Not easily available to Indians
- No valid samsung warranty in India
- Exynos 5 is superior to Snapdragon 600 if optimized correctly.

You should probably get this device if you're into modding and flashing Custom ROMS.

The Octacore Version (i9500)
Powered by insanely powerful Exynos 5 chipset. The big.LITTLE architecture helps you get the best performance with better battery life!

Pros:
- Best battery life in the lot
- Locally available, with Indian warranty
- Most powerful processor in the lot.
- Better Resale value

Cons:
- Wont enjoy as much development support as other variants (though time will prove)
- No LTE support (if that matters to you)

I think majority of the Indian users will buy this. Its the best option for you if you dont mind TouchWiz and Indian warranty matters to you.

The Google Version!
Recently announced at Google I/O, this phone is a NEXUS!

Pros:
- Pure vanilla android!
- First to receive all the updates!
- More user available storage
- Smoothest experience, no s-lag etc

Cons:
- Only available in US
- Somewhat expensive if compared to Nexus 4
- No Indian warranty

You should get this if you're AOSP Android fan, as this is a Nexus! You'll be the first to receive all the updates, and you dont have to put up with the s-crap!

So, guys which version will you be getting? Please share your thoughts and experiences :)

The real question about the phone should be how well it can switch between the 8 cores to optimize performance and load.
Only user can solve this question. Is their any lag due to the switching on demand?

The real question about the phone should be how well it can switch between the 8 cores to optimize performance and load.
Only user can solve this question. Is their any lag due to the switching on demand?
The apparent lag is due to poor optimization of the software, often seen in TouchWiz, also known as the 's-lag'!
This lag is seen in all Galaxy S4s be it OctaCore or QuadCore.
Although be aware of the fact that Samsung has rolled out update for both variants that fixed the lags as reported by many users. Further more, you can install launchers to minimize the navigation lags or even Custom ROMs to get the best of it!

After update, I don't see any kinda lag. RAM usage is also minimal. I believe they are improving with TouchWiz. I am using TouchWiz since Galaxy S (Android 2.1) days. I have seen vast improvement in TouchWiz. With performance updates, I don't see any lags.

I would say go for Exynos. It gives you optimal battery life and performance compared to Quadcore model. And who said it will not get good community support? We are very actively developing some mods and hacks on XDA.. Go check yourself :)

Yeah already have the phone......Regret coz there is nothing so great about this phone compared to the other models from Samsung, S3/NoteII.[/q

But Samsung is advertising a lot of features isn't?
When more demanding apps and games are released you will start to love the phone.

And who said it will not get good community support? We are very actively developing some mods and hacks on XDA.. Go check yourself :)

Well, keeping aside the fact that i9505 will be sold in US, UK and Europe and hence more developers bound to work on it, the Snapdragon 600 is very friendly for developers to work with (as opposed to Exynos, due to lack of Source Code released by Samsung). There's that, and CM team will probably won't be working on i9500 as stated by a member of the team or even if they will, it won't enjoy as much support as the i9505 (early build is already out to test)
That being said, as of now I can see both the models being equally supported. So lets see what future holds for them :)

My plan is to buy the US version but only after the Google version is released.
Once the Google version is released, developers will copy and release the stock Android ROM for the US versions as well because they are the same hardware wise.
So for $400-450 ( assuming that will be the price of used S4 in US when the Google version is released in June), we get the same experience as that from the $650 Google version.

Well, keeping aside the fact that i9505 will be sold in US, UK and Europe and hence more developers bound to work on it, the Snapdragon 600 is very friendly for developers to work with (as opposed to Exynos, due to lack of Source Code released by Samsung). There's that, and CM team will probably won't be working on i9500 as stated by a member of the team or even if they will, it won't enjoy as much support as the i9505 (early build is already out to test)
That being said, as of now I can see both the models being equally supported. So lets see what future holds for them :)
Well, I see no point of moving in to CM or AOSP ROMs unless and until the Sammy features are ported on to it. And as Engadget author said, Samsung features (Gestures, airview etc) are absent on Google Edition. I see no point of using ROM which does not make full use of hardware.

I use around 40-50% features extensively. And personally I can not afford moving on to AOSP or CM based ROM. Anyway, about the documentation. I believe Samsung will make it available some day. Previously, they were not at all replying to developers or user tweets. I got couple of replies from @SamsungExynos account. May be they are planning to release it in future. If that happens, nothing like it :D But right now, I don't think we badly need any CM or AOSP based ROM. There are amazing developers on XDA supporting this phone :)

And FYI, Supercurio (Founder of voodoo) has recently purchased I9500. So you can expect Voodoo coming to I9500. He has also made clear that there will not be Voodoo for Qualcomm based phones (plus SamsungExynos follows him on twitter :p). Supercurio, Chainfire are constantly working on super awesome stuff for SGS4.

So one can't really say Exynos is less developer supported phone.

Back