Graphic Cards Buying used Graphics Card on OLX - Risks and Cautions

sankar_45

Disciple
There are a number of used Graphics Cards available on quickr and olx.

How do we judge these cards? What information do we get from the seller?

The Graphics cards should be tested. With what software?

In general what are the risks involved?

Thank You.

I have heard bad things about selling/buying at OLX, so I prefer to stay away from it, just try to get some pics from the seller if possible.

There are a number of used Graphics Cards available on quickr and olx.

How do we judge these cards? What information do we get from the seller?

The Graphics cards should be tested. With what software?

In general what are the risks involved?

Thank You.

Stay away from olx/quickr/Craig's if you are buying computer parts as these things needs be tested rather than cellphone which can verified by the time of buying.
Online forum are the best place as you can buy from trusted members who put every details like CPU-z screenshots, serial no for warranty, etc.
So beware, else ask him to come to your place or meet him at his place to check on pc.
Hope this helps.

Ps. Don't trust quickr, that's one lot of heaven for spammers.

I have heard bad things about selling/buying at OLX, so I prefer to stay away from it, just try to get some pics from the seller if possible.

They all post pictures. Many of them. But the images are of the original. I have sold and continue to sell on OLX. I have also bought through OLX. You could get a bargain. The chances of getting a dud card is also high. That is why I would like the experts to advise me about what to look for and the precautions to be taken.

Stay away from olx/quickr/Craig's if you are buying computer parts as these things needs be tested rather than cellphone which can verified by the time of buying.
Online forum are the best place as you can buy from trusted members who put every details like CPU-z screenshots, serial no for warranty, etc.
So beware, else ask him to come to your place or meet him at his place to check on pc.
Hope this helps.

Ps. Don't trust quickr, that's one lot of heaven for spammers.

I am asking for CPUZ screenshots. I am thinking of asking him to let me install it on my computer and test it. But I do not know whether he would agree.

^ the best thing about olx is that the seller/buyer is within the city. So, you have much closer contact of the seller.
Ask him to visit, else visit his place for the setup. Hope this clears up bro.

Actually buying on OLX is more of a hassle then buying on any internet site or forum. The seller being in the same city means nothing. You have to fix an appointment and then travel to the seller's place (At least 10 Kms in any metro). Time and money.

I am disappointed by the response. I have got the CPUZ screenshots.He is willing to install the card on my computer and see whether it is working.

What I wanted was details regarding

1. What do we look for in a old Graphics Card. Signs of wear and tear. Anything specific?

2. I was reading that the Fan is the first component which could fail. What do I look for in the Fan?

I am sure there are many experts in this forum who could throw light on this and give good advice. This could be useful for any one buying a used sound card.

Please respond.

Thank You.

not an expert but, cpuz screenshots mean nothing. they can be from another gpu too.

obvious signs of a bad gpu - pixellation in monitor. like randomly coloured pixels showing up on screen, tearing etc. happens if the gpu has been overclocked for long periods of time. this cannot be seen immediately on startup. once gpu heats up a bit it start surfacing on screen. can take 5mins to an hour. you could try running a movie in dxva mode to stress test the gpu. a bad fan would make some weird noise or be slow spinning instead of full speed.

better option would be to buy a new card. since you're so hell bent on buying from quickr or olx take a weeks testing warranty so if you find something wrong with it you can return it back.

For PC parts, avoid buying from sites like olx, quicker etc.
They don't have rule or infrastructure like tech forums to accommodate a smooth transaction of PC components.

Actually buying on OLX is more of a hassle then buying on any internet site or forum. The seller being in the same city means nothing. You have to fix an appointment and then travel to the seller's place (At least 10 Kms in any metro). Time and money.

I am disappointed by the response. I have got the CPUZ screenshots.He is willing to install the card on my computer and see whether it is working.

What I wanted was details regarding

1. What do we look for in a old Graphics Card. Signs of wear and tear. Anything specific?

2. I was reading that the Fan is the first component which could fail. What do I look for in the Fan?

I am sure there are many experts in this forum who could throw light on this and give good advice. This could be useful for any one buying a used sound card.

Please respond.

Thank You.

The primary problem is this: You have no way of checking the reputation of a member on one of those websites. So the issue with an old GPU is that you may be sold a dud which may surface after some time, and you have no way to solve the issue.

I recommend only taking a second hand GPU if it has warranty left (as per bill etc) and you can physically test/verify for no physical damage and nothing else wrong with the card etc. So worst case scenario you can RMA it. Without the warranty, its a pretty risky transaction, since you have no way to trust the seller unlike places like TE where we all have an incentive to deal fairly to keep our reputation.

Check out the TE market instead. Or put in a WTB thread to see if someone is willing to sell a card you want to buy at a good price :) Less riskier.

You can of course decide that you trust the guy and go ahead with the deal even without warranty. In that case its purely up to your judgement and hope that the seller is trustworthy.

People must be wondering why I am thinking of buying a Graphics card from OLX.

I need a graphics card. My old card went dead. Then it was an old card which was out of date and was just better than the integrated Graphics on the motherboard. I had upgraded the MB and not the card. The card is under warranty and it would be replaced when i get the time to give it to the service center.

Now I am not a serious gamer. I had given up on action games long back. Now even when I play, it is strategy games mostly Civilization. The graphic requirements are low.

I work with Photoshop. The graphics card helps there.

So I fix up an amount and look for a card for that amount. Not high end or the latest, but something better than what I have already had.

The people who sell on OLX are Gamers who want to buy a better card. They have limited means. They may or may not be internet-savvy. They depend on the local dealers for purchase. Then they would like a get a good price for their old card. Most of them are out of warranty.

Now it is upto the purchaser to determine how good the card is.

My seller is still using the card on his computer. He wants to know how much he can get for his old card before buying another one. It is upto me to check out the Card.

caveat emptor--buyer beware! That is why I am posting here. I have searched the internet and found some good points.

OLX is a like a garage sale. I had given two of my old stereo systems to the ruddhi wallah for a paltry sum. My wife even remarked that a time may come when we have to pay him to cart away such things. Now when I was cleaning my attic I found an old amplifier (about 8 years old). I put an ad. in OLX. There is a very good response. One man rings up from Gujarat asking me to courier it. I do not even know whether it still works. The offer to the local buyers is "pay the amount. Test it. If it works, keep it. Otherwise return for a full refund." If it happens it will go to ruddhi wallah who will pay me Rs.10 for it.

I am also trying to get rid of old computer parts like Coolers, stock coolers, motherboard, DDR1 and DDR2 RAM, Sound Card etc. All very old.

There is no comparison between this forum and OLX. OLX is garage Sale.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell me what Graphics card in working condition (out of warranty may be) can I get for. Rs.1500.

Bought a NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 1024 MB DDR3 for Rs.1500. I has not been overclocked. The seller came to my place. Installed the Graphics Card and ensured that it is working. Now it is 6 days. No problem.

Back