OC & Modding Cabby modding query

6pack

ex-Mod
Was thinking of modding my old zebby (to be replaced soon) cabby. So while thinking of the design one thing came to mind. Why is the motherboard mounted always on the right hand side? Why not on the left? Are there any cabinets with LHS mounting of motherboards made?

This thought came to me when i realised that keeping a plexiglass window on LHS will be a waste since it will be obscured by my desk.

i drew a design in paint with LHS mounted mobo and rest of peripherals. please see it and give inputs whether it will work or not.

lhsdesigncabby.png

The CM Stacker 830 lets you mount the motherboard they way you wanted - this's due to the design of the removable motherboard tray which could be rotated and installed.

I do not see any flaws with this design - use a thicker acrylic sheet for the motherboard mount - say about 6mm thk.

Does that circle next to the PCI slots resemble a fan? Dont seem like a good idea. You do need those slots for expandability like a gfx card or an audio card.

As for cooling, here're my inputs - Keep a 120mm fan or a couple of them at the top. One next to the CPU cooler down, facing the back not adjacent to the cooler as you've drawn since any aftermarket cooler may interfere with the fan on the side panel unless there's a large gap between the two making the width of the enclosure unusually large! A couple of 92mm fans in front of the hard drive cage. Keep the hard drive cage straight.

yes that is a fan on top in front of pci slot. actually i meant it to be in side of cpu :ashamed:

aslo one fan on top just above pci slots for ventilation.

@OP

which cabby do you have?

me too thinking about modifying my old zebronics bijli, before shifting to new cabinet OR building a techstation with parts from bijli.

On the similar topic...

i need to know how to remove/break rivet joints without deforming the aluminum parts on which rivet rests. i could try to cut the rivet's buck tail but is there any other sophisticated method?

tried searching for tutorials but could not find anything helpful.

Acrylic panel modding - refer our in-house modder rakeshsharma. He's done quite a good amount of modding using his home-made all acrylic enclosure, resuscitating a dead coolermaster 600w power supply, home made liquid-cooling setup with CPU-GPU loops using a home-made CPU & a GPU block and what not!

Anyways, best of luck with the mods and keep us updated. :)

@madnav, its a zebronics london. imo only way to remove rivets is to drill them out. take a drill bit a little bigger than the rivet inner hole and it will do the job. my zebby cabby seems to be held together with rivets only. didnt find any screws on it yet.

edit: see this vid on drilling out rivets. the page also has more related videos.

[youtube]EwIpsH2EPto[/youtube]

thanks for the links both of you :)

can't rape you gannu, need to spread around :p

well, a few days ago i opened the front panel of bijli... removed the front intake fan and the aluminum plate which was there for mounting the fan

the reason was to install the hdds in reverse to hide cables :p

EDiTEd:

here is the pic for whatever that i understand as cable management in zebby bijli :ashamed:

1.jpg

this has brough down cpu temp to 34c idle from 39c

gpu temp is down to 35c from 40c.

although hdds were working 5-8c above normal (41-44c :O) due to intake fan removal.

i received 2x 120/120/35mm delta fan from mediahome... they are loud :D and effective :)

mounted one of tem over sccf with help of cotton treads :ashamed: it's pretty stable.

the other is being used for the exhaust behind sccf... i'm running both fans at 2000rpm (max is 2.8k rpm)

the fan that came with sccf is moced to HD4850 and the fan that i had removed from front intake (stock 120mm from bijli) is placed back to front intake now..

end result is sweeeeeet

cpu is running at 31-32c at idle at delta @ 2k rpm

HD4850 is idling at 30c with sccf fan and cm 90cfm fan, both at 2000rpm

Both fan are rated 90cfm... but at full speed... the sccf's stock fan is moving much more air than cm 90cfn fan... wither sccf's fan is under rated or cm 90cfm is way over rated

hdd's are back to 34-37c after moving the bijli's stock 120mm fan to front :)

pic..

2.jpg

6pack said:
Was thinking of modding my old zebby (to be replaced soon) cabby. So while thinking of the design one thing came to mind. Why is the motherboard mounted always on the right hand side? Why not on the left? Are there any cabinets with LHS mounting of motherboards made?

This thought came to me when i realised that keeping a plexiglass window on LHS will be a waste since it will be obscured by my desk.

i drew a design in paint with LHS mounted mobo and rest of peripherals. please see it and give inputs whether it will work or not.

lhsdesigncabby.png

Raven RV02
Stacker 830

have left mounting MB.......In stacker u can mount both sides:D

Why shouldnt LHS mb mounting work? Practice on some old cabinets bfr trying serious modding.......:bleh:

And if u want ur cabby to look glassy and dont have time for sandblasting/powderpainting/cost etc...........USE VINYL.......KMD has some Carbon, black Vinyls but I suggest u go visit bike/car vinyl designers and get a sheet or get a custom vinyl done:hap2:

lol. zebby's are bad in cable management category. there's simply no space to hide cables in them except the odd bay.

Back