Budget 41-50k Cad workstation help

Viz

Disciple
Hi,
I have a small CAD office doing some 3d Modeling work and I need help in buying/building a new PC. At the moment we have all Dell PC's and they are doing good for our purpose, but I wanted to see if I can build a PC on my own as I believe sometimes the cost of these branded PC's were huge for our small office to expand but the good thing is the service Dell replaces any of the parts with in the next 24 hrs, that's good for us, as it will not affect our work, for this simple reason, I have not looked at other options to go for custom built pc's, I received a quote from Dell for a new workstation and am attaching it for your review, I am very novice at this, so please kindly bear with me, here are my requirements, My budget and requirements are as follows:
  1. Questions
    1. What is your budget?
      • 40K-50k + little extra is fine.
    2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model) None
    3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
      • None
    4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
      • I need your help
    5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
      • Final, but would like to have the option to add more Ram
    6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
      • Open to online purchase
    7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
      • No
    8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware cad and 3d modeling
    9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike no preference
    10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
      • No
    11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
      1. Desktop - 1980x1020.
    12. Are you looking to overclock?
      • No idea
    13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
      • Windows 7 64 bit.
As I am looking to buy all the components from either flipkart or Amazon how is the part warranty going to work? If we buy from local vendor we will take it to him not sure if it is absolutely fine to buy from online vendors.

The components you suggest if I buy them on flipkart or Amazon will that be enough to assemble myself or do I have to buy any small component again locally?

I am thankful to all of you for your help.

Regards
Srinivas

Attachments

• Dell PC.jpg
    Dell PC.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 180
The Dell spec seems ok. The Quadro K2000 itself shows up for some 30k on ebay. The rest of the parts will be 30~40k easy. Considering you have a 24 hour replacement warranty from Dell and this is for critical office work, you can't really top it.

Hi Eddy,
Thanks for the quick response, the problem is on top of the cost of PC, dell charges CST and Counter Vailing Duty that will add up to another 10,900, so the total cost of the PC is going to be about 82K. I am not against paying taxes, but sometimes due to cash constraints its hard to afford 82k on a CPU, so I was looking to see if we can assemble a system with a closer performance at an affordable cost. But please let me know if you still believe that a branded PC will be the best way to invest in the longer run, I will go with Dell.
Thank you,
Srinivas.

If you can strech your budget to 60K ish, I can get you a IBM Workstation for that much from Mumbai. It might be cheaper elsewhere.

Its a first gen Xeon 1220v2

Dropped you a PM.[DOUBLEPOST=1414220471][/DOUBLEPOST]These are what I got

LENOVO Think Station Model E30 (7783) with E3-1225(3.1 GHz), 2x4GB 1333 Non ECC, 500GB 7200, DVD RW, Intel GbE NIC, 280W PSU, W7 Pro, 3 yrs onsite. Keyboard, Mouse included

LENOVO Think Station Model
Intel Xeon E3-1246 v3 (3.5GHz / 4C / 8M / 1600 / 84W / 2GT), 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, DVDWriter, DOS, Keyboard & Mouse, 3 Year Onsite Support

VAT 5% extra on both[DOUBLEPOST=1414220778][/DOUBLEPOST]And I have not bought either of these.

Last edited:
The Lenovo workstation doesn't seem to include the quadro card. That's where the chunk of the cost is going. You can probably ask Dell to downgrade you to a Quadro K600 to cut costs.

The Dell quote is surprisingly competitive. Even an assembled rig with the same specs would have cost you close to 82k :-
Xeon E3 1240 V3 ~20k
Decent B85 motherboard ~ 5k
8GB RAM ~ 5k
Quadro K2000 ~ 35k
1TB drive ~ 4k
DVD drive ~ 1k
PSU ~ 5k
Cabinet ~ 2k
Total ~ 77k

If this is for office work, downtime will be very critical. A typical consumer part will take a week or two to replace (optimistically). 24 hour replacement in comparison is much much faster. From the comparison above, you will save about 5k with the assembled rig. But during those few weeks of downtime you might lose clients/business worth more than 5k, so IMHO you aren't actually saving money.

P.s.: I hope you're buying software too. Your CAD tool alone will probably cost more than the system.

@Crazy_Eddy Thats what I was surprised at. The fact that at 82K, he was getting the Quadro and 3 years Dell NBD was too good a deal.

As for the software cost - he is using 'ahem' versions. In our case - it went close to 20L.

Back