Call of Duty: Black Ops Will Have Just One Dedicated Server Option

Aman27deep

Skilled
500x_500x_1597black_ops_colt_commando.jpg

Stung by PC gamer outrage over the lack of dedicated server support in Modern Warfare 2, Activision has responded with something they'll appreciate about as little: An exclusive deal making GameServers.com the only dedicated server option for Black Ops.

IGN reported the news on Friday. A ranked dedicated server will cost $14.95 per month, with 18 players maximum. Unranked servers will cost 99 cents a month per player, with a maximum of 24 players. There are fees for teamspeak support, and discounts for 3, 6 or 12 month prepays.

Josh Olin, community manager for Treyarch, empasized that using Treyarch-hosted servers is still free. He said the arrangement with GameServers will provide better cheating and hacking moderation.

"If you rent a server, you will still have the ability to Kick, Ban, and Configure it the way you see fit," Olin said, according to IGN. "Of course, Ranked servers will have some set configurations that can't be messed with; but you will still have the power to administrate your servers as a customer of GameServers."

Black Ops Dedicated Servers Come With a Catch

Kotaku link - Call of Duty: Black Ops Will Have Just One Dedicated Server Option

IGN link - Call of Duty: Black Ops Will Have Just One Dedicated Server Option

========

In other words, they've phucked most of asia, nearest server to us is "(Asia) Tokyo, Japan" and "(RU) Moscow, Russia", and we know our pings will be mighty high to them. I was almost certain of buying this game at whatever the price and playing on SG servers, but now they can suck it ;)

lol this is bullshit, activision knows most of their market is in the Deveoped nations, and frankly they wont be facing no problems, but they've made sure we get phucked.

jc36lect3r said:
Even in Europe and US not everyone will get good pings to one gameserver. COD 4 will remain the last COD I paid money for.
nah they'll be okay. pings from within europe to any other country in the region are usually 30-50, so it won't be a problem for them. and the americans of course get multiple cities with hosted servers. the places that are screwed are south america, asia, africa.

who cares? pirates and hackers will take care of these greedy companys and their "epic-uncackable-multiplayer-servers" just like they did to Mw2. :|

These fks deserve to be pirated and hacked.

"Josh Olin, community manager for Treyarch, empasized that using Treyarch-hosted servers is still free."

If I read this correctly, what it means is that (if) Treyarch's hosts its own "free" servers somewhere in Asia we should be fine.

Rickyk said:
"Josh Olin, community manager for Treyarch, empasized that using Treyarch-hosted servers is still free."

If I read this correctly, what it means is that (if) Treyarch's hosts its own "free" servers somewhere in Asia we should be fine.
You tink they will do that? I dont think so, I say we should buy MOH instead lol.

jojothedragon said:
who cares? pirates and hackers will take care of these greedy companys and their "epic-uncackable-multiplayer-servers" just like they did to Mw2. :|

These fks deserve to be pirated and hacked.
You are not getting it. If making a game for PC is not profitable, they will NOT make it. What will people pirate then, thin air?

I get that. But they should try to equally distribute advantages. Its like Activision always discriminates countries like India while DICE does not.

Rickyk said:

you planning on getting this or moh ricky? i'm not touching moh at all. this one, i'm still not sure.
jojothedragon said:
I get that. But they should try to equally distribute advantages. Its like Activision always discriminates countries like India while DICE does not.

dice needs all the sales they can get. black ops preorders will probably be more than bad company 2 lifetime sales.

spindoctor said:
dice needs all the sales they can get. black ops preorders will probably be more than bad company 2 lifetime sales.
no way

Bad Company has sold a alot more than any game's pre-orders or first week sales

its just that COD is very popular in US and UK.even europe isn't that big a playground as US eats up more than 50-60% of sales of COD titles,2nd highest is UK.

Battlefield sales are accross many regions not just US and UK.

and for India,just leave it. companies don't even consider india and other poor and pirate countries when launching games

I don't understand why dont more games go the valve way. They have got great success with their DRM.
I personally have bought more games on Steam than either on DVD's or any other format. I hope people buy more games otherwise India is not getting any love.

brickhouse said:
no way

Bad Company has sold a alot more than any game's pre-orders or first week sales

i should have said day one sales (which includes pre-orders in the count for some reason) instead of pre-orders. modern warfare 2 sold over 5 million copies on day one, and over 9 million copies in the first 5 days. that is more than bad company 2 lifetime sales. some say black ops will outsell mw2, others disagree. besides, don't get hung up on the numbers... the point i was making is that cod sales and dice sales are on 2 totally different scales.

Back