Calling all people with iphones running iOS 4

adilj

Adept
Thanks to CSI and every action movie ever using it as a plot device, everyone knows that cell phones make you easier to track. Between cell tower triangulation and remote GPS pinging services, you’re trackable to the nth degree as soon as your shiny new smartphone slips into your pocket.

But here’s a twist: what if your phone not only kept a record of where you are, but also where you’ve been? According to research announced today, that’s exactly what the iPhone has been doing for months.
At today’s Where 2.0 Conference in Santa Clara, researchers Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden announced that both the iPhone and 3G iPads are storing a persistent list of locations and timestamps, and have been doing so since iOS 4′s release. While that’s mysterious and somewhat spooky in and of itself, it gets a bit stranger: the “consolidated.db” file is synced (in plaintext) as part of your iPhone backup, which means that it’s chillin’ on any machine you’ve synced your iPhone with recently. This data can then be taken and mapped to show where you’ve been and where you’ve gone since the last time you cleared everything off your device.

Link: Surprise! Your iPhone Is Tracking Your Every Move

Am not sure if the maps are for india or no but whats the harm in tring it out.

Can some one actually try this out and share their results???

I am just curious if this actually work or no??? nothin else man...

Cause have heard many stories of cell phones recodring ur location so just wanted to know if this is true and how accurate are the results??? nothin else...

If u can it would help me curb my curiosity...

P.S.: U dont need to post screen shots or somethin like that neithe ram i expecting u to do that... Just a small note on its accuracy...

Areey...but How do I check???

Is there a tutorial:D...As I can see this info is stored in some system file of OS which we don't have access to anyways...

lida said:
I am just curious if this actually work or no??? nothin else man...

Cause have heard many stories of cell phones recodring ur location so just wanted to know if this is true and how accurate are the results??? nothin else...

If u can it would help me curb my curiosity...

P.S.: U dont need to post screen shots or somethin like that neithe ram i expecting u to do that... Just a small note on its accuracy...

The team that released the news has created an sw for that and the link is provided on the link itself but am providing it to you right here

petewarden/iPhoneTracker @ GitHub

There some kind of FAQs at the end they might help....

Why did i not buy the iphone when i had the chance now am too hooked to the BB

he “consolidated.db” file is synced (in plaintext) as part of your iPhone backup, which means that it’s chillin’ on any machine you’ve synced your iPhone with recently.

If you are syncing with a random computer and leaving your personal contacts and other personal info on that computer as part of the sync data, then that "where you have been history" is the least of your worries.

Lord Nemesis said:
If you are syncing with a random computer and leaving your personal contacts and other personal info on that computer as part of the sync data, then that "where you have been history" is the least of your worries.

If it was just that than it would not have been such a big deal... Read this

This data can then be taken and mapped to show where you’ve been and where you’ve gone since the last time you cleared everything off your device.

I seriously doubt that is the only information that the phone is storing...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Metalspree said:

That is to block the trackin of the location.
My question/concern is has some one seen this first hand or are we just believing the news we keep hearing which might be true (no doubt in that)

lida said:
If it was just that than it would not have been such a big deal... Read this
As I said, if you should be worried more about leaving your personal data and contacts on a random computer than about where you have been recently. That history you are talking about is the means to get at your personal data. Leaving that history along with your sync is like leaving a map to your gold along side the gold itself. No one would be interested in the map when they are getting the gold directly. Essentially what I am saying is that if you should not sync your personal data on random computers.

148q2dx.jpg

Made by me.

arrun_j said:
hi all
can u please help me out how do i install this tracking thing on my iphone 4...
Hey man the phone is already tracking w/o our consent... And if u want to know how to see where your phone has been check the links above.

Just out of curiosity why do u want to track your own phone???:S

Back