Camera Camera Geeks and experts I Need Help...

Hello guys I need some help with respect to digital cameras and SLR 's .Currently i am doing my Summer internship project with a top MNC which wants to enter in the camera segment and i need some info on the Digtal camera market like the market competitors, the brands , the most selling models , what do consumers expect in a camera and lots more.My area is in Mumbai only.Thats what my mentor told me find out

Guys does any one have any idea of what photo channels are ? its dynamics and margin involved along with Market share of Modern and traditional trade channels for digicam market in Mumbai . need some info i didnt get much info on the net. Basically there are 3 types of distribution channels - Traditional trade, Modern Trade and Photo channels in the cameras segment .Photo channels are shops are photo labs or the places u go to take photos they too have cameras and they sell too so wanted some info there..

I want to get in touch with some distributors in Mumbai to get some insights about market shares and some other info.Any one from Mumbai who have bought cameras from shops or dealers or know some distributors.
Mumbai Market size of Digital cameras,DSLR and camcorders along with Market % or share by volume and value of 5 brands Canon nikon sony kodak and olympus

Any idea on the margin structure the dealer margin and distri margin percentages guys ?

I know this is a bit too much to ask for ;(

Any info you got guys ?

I had the meetin with the distributors, retailers and buyer but all busy so i am not to get answers i need the info asap guys any help would be appreciated .

Anyone has contact with main distri for Cameras ?

This insight will be very usefull for me in making a report and suggesting new product development strategies.Please post here who would like to help me buddies. Seekiing any one who know/ are passionate/camera freaks/experts with any thing to do with Camera

Meanwhile i have created a questionnaire regarding digicams and stuff.Those who own a digicam/DSLR/Handycams/Enthusiasts/Camera Pros .Please devote few mins of your time in answering some questions.Please forward to all of your friends and relatives also.

Here is the link for the questionnaire

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...Q0M1WE1iSUE6MQ

;)

Sorry mate, but some of your questions need to be re-framed IMHO. For instance, asking how many megapixels and zoom one would prefer? Erm, you do realise that people don't just buy a camera based on the specs right?

no dude i know i am asking a bit too much i have some of the details but don't have the rest...any info would be appreciated..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Amaresh said:
Sorry mate, but some of your questions need to be re-frame. For instance, asking how many megapixels and zoom one would prefer? Erm, you do realise that people don't just buy a camera based on the specs right?

i asked with the sales persons interviewed them they told consumers who come to buy those who are unaware just ask for more of megapixels regardless of other features..

60 % people who plan to take point & shoot camera goes by sales person advice.

Only people with DSLR in mind have concrete info on what they want..

Source: Observation at Croma :)

right i have done insight gathering from ezone croma reliance digital vijaysales grey markets in and around mumbai etc.

which are the ones which ppl prefer in dslr any idea 500D 550D 60D 1000D D3100 1100D+ are the ones i got info from my research any other ones ?

Praks said:
60 % people who plan to take point & shoot camera goes by sales person advice.

Only people with DSLR in mind have concrete info on what they want..

Source: Observation at Croma :)

any has a close contact with any dealer or distributor in mumbai ? even photo labs will do as they are the photo channels i am talking about .

Why do u feel ppl buy from grey markets rather from the branded shops ?

just saw the panasonic lumix ad with 16mp nice camera

Amaresh said:
Sorry mate, but some of your questions need to be re-framed IMHO. For instance, asking how many megapixels and zoom one would prefer? Erm, you do realise that people don't just buy a camera based on the specs right?

Hello Sid.

Just an idea or two to share.

I suspect that if you look at cameras on dpreveiw.com you will see the brands, their relative popularity by their hits listings, and the features the marketeers perceive that the public at large wants.

My impression of the compact digital marketspace is that most people want a small camera which just takes good pictures without a lot of hassle or technical mumbo jumbo. They may choose to have techy features for bragging rights, but they want their cameras to work easily without them becoming overwhelmed by the technology. They tend to lean towards brands they have heard of... Sony, Panasonic, Kodak, etc. And color, form factor, and styling matter a lot.

A few have heard of German trademarks and are impressed by German optics branding like Leica, Schneider, and Zeiss, etc. So you will see these marks on many cameras, even though they come from the Orient and not Germany.

The term megapixel has been hyped a long time. So, the public has been conditioned to believe that such is the measure of a good camera.

People who buy dSLRs are somewhat more discerning, by and large. Some may recognize that German heritage is at the root of modern designs, but they also know that today's optics from Japan are second to none in overall quality and price performance. They know about the limitations of small digitals, and the possibilities available from systems with interchangeable optics and accessories.

IMO, Canon and Nikon are probably the heavy hitters in India. Pentax and Sony are in the same league in terms of quality and price performance, maybe even better. But their presence and support in India is less pronounced, from what I have heard and read.

I understand that a generation ago, Nikon had a stronger presence in India. The Indian public, that part which is not particularly photo-savvy, may be more impressed by the Nikon brand for this reason. I have read that a lot of "pros" tend towards Nikon there. I wonder if this is because they are trying to match the preconceptions and existing prejudices present in the public at large... people who associate Nikon with pros of the past, for example.

A few years ago, here in Georgia, USA, where I live, I went into a camera store at about Christmas time. A saleslady showed me a modern camera and said words to this effect:
"Sir, this camera does everything for you. There is nothing left for you to have to do."

She knew what the public at large wants in a camera. But she did not have a clue about advanced amateurs and professionals who use cameras.

Good luck with your research this summer.

Kindest regards,

Henry

Back