Camera Camera P&S

Hi friends,

I need to buy a point and shoot camera.

1. My budget is Rs. 15,000 (plus minus 6% up or down)
2. Any brand ( Nikon/Canon if possible, others are also welcome)
3. Noob about photography (I have a old basic camera which used to have negative reels to capture photos, branded as YASHiCA). Will be basically used by myself only.
4. Have LeCrosse charger, so no issue for rechargeable/replaceable AA/AAA batteries.
5. Will be also used for capturing small video sometime, so video and voice clarity should be there.
6. Will not be used for professional work, but images and video are of professional quality, it will be good.

Thanks in Advance.

How are these below cameras compared to above ones.

Canon PowerShot SX260 HS

Nikon Coolpix L820

Which one will be best to go with from all of them?

Put canon in the equation cause the sx260 is a good cam.
the L820 falls a little behind.

Finally what you choose should be down to the look and feel of the camera in your hand.

If you are not too gung-ho about 100X zoom etc then let me suggest you Nikon P330.
It is about 16K.
Has bright lens - which means you won't need flash in dark lighting
Has larger sensor - which means better picture performance at higher ISOs, and better dynamic range at lower ISOs
Has manual controls - thumb wheel and second thumb wheel with D pad. (this will allow you to change the exposure time AND other setting like apersture/ISO/etc) simultaneously.

Beats everything in <20000 price range. Image quality wise and video quality wise.
The only caveat is it has 5X zoom. Which is not less, since I had Canon sx210 with 14X, and in two/three years there were only 4-5 photos which I had taken which required more than 4x or 5x zoom (setting sun).

Agree with Nikon P330 but 5X ZOOM stopped me from buying.

Sony Cyber-shot WX50 and Nikon P330 are comparable, difference being Sony Cyber-shot WX50 is cheap.

Agree with Nikon P330 but 5X ZOOM stopped me from buying.

Sony Cyber-shot WX50 and Nikon P330 are comparable, difference being Sony Cyber-shot WX50 is cheap.

If you've already bought, then there is no point even thinking over the purchase ... but for other's who may visit this thread: there is a considerable difference between Nikon P series and Sony cyber shots (lens and sensor and manual controls).

Its like difference between Canon S or G series and other powershots. (and that's why there is a huge difference in the prices, even though the zoom offered is less).
The only difference being Nikon is much saner in pricing compared to Canon. (that's why P330 is about 16K, the same featured model from Canon S110 or S100 is about 25-30K!!!)

BOB: You should've not made purchase based on zoom :(
Unless you are into voyeuristic photography, you will never exceed 4X requirements (roughly 105 mm in full frame equivalent) ...

This is also the reason why most DSLRs come with kit lens of 18-55 zoom (which is 28-85 mm in full frame equivalent) = 3X zoom

I bought the Sony WX50 recently from ebay and was surprised at the freebies Sony is offering with this product in India. I've noticed that if all you need is a point n shoot camera and you probably wont fiddle around with the manual controls, Sony Cybershots give better output than any other brand in the same league. Here's what I got along with my Sony WX50

I have not brought any camera. I am very much confused which way to go, with Superzoom camera or with less zoom camera?

Cameras in below list which I am thinking to choose from.

Sony CyberShot DSC-WX50 Point & Shoot
Nikon Coolpix P330 Advance Point and shoot
Nikon Coolpix P510 Point & Shoot/Nikon Coolpix P520 Advance Point and shoot
Nikon Coolpix L820 Advance Point and shoot
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Point & Shoot

Will go with Nikon P330 Camera.

Thanks for suggestions friends. Special thanks to ssslayer.

I envy you.
Do post up a few sample pix taken from it ...

I have seen samples on internet and the lens is ultra sharp and the sensor is good in resolving details.
Most of the ultra and mega zooms will have poor lens sharpness, and the sensor though may carry 100 MP tag, is unable to actually resolve details in real life.

Do keep in mind, the camera is meant for discerning crowd, and you may feel the pictures coming out are not punchy enough (because they will be more realistic). You can play with all those settings (vividness, contrast, saturation etc) to your desire ...

Back