Camera Camera Suggestion needed

red_devil

Disciple
I'm looking to buy a camera for some basic beginner photography needs. I'm looking for a camera in the price range of 10-12k and thereabouts.

What I want is a sleek camera which can be easily carried around. I intend to use it on a regular basis and would prefer the camera to be sturdy.

SO please suggest a camera which provides a good enough picture quality and good display screen etc etc.. the best that I can get within my budget.

also any site where I can find the prices of all those phones in INR? something like gsmarena for mobiles..

the problem is the cam is not for my use .. its for a relative of mine and I'll have to quote the exact model name and price as well..buying one for myself wouldn't have been a problem ;)

red_devil said:
specific model names would be much appreciated.

The new Canon IXUS 95 IS (~ 12K) !

red_devil said:
also any site where I can find the prices of all those phones in INR? something like gsmarena for mobiles..

the problem is the cam is not for my use .. its for a relative of mine and I'll have to quote the exact model name and price as well..buying one for myself wouldn't have been a problem ;)

Here you go:

http://www.jjmehta.com/digitalcamera.html

well if u don't mind buying in the grey market,u can go for the sony W300 priced around 12k in grey market 19k in showroom ,this simply has a much bigger sensor and better lens,its produces images that are equal or better then the high end canon G10 which costs about 21k in grey and 30k in showroom.only drawback of the sony is the use of memory stick format.

thanks a lot guys..

just a minor change -- budget can be extended upto 15k...so I guess this new increased budget can land me (them) a better cam!

so please suggest a cam that fits the new budget.

and NO grey market guys.. I've to buy it and send it over to my folks and grey market is not what they'll be looking for.

red_devil said:
thanks a lot guys..

and NO grey market guys.. I've to buy it and send it over to my folks and grey market is not what they'll be looking for.

any particular reasons why they won't like grey market stuff,u do get all the cables,straps,manual,box etc just like the showroom,only thing u won't get is bill and warranty.

W300 is ok but its nothing special. Sure its got a brushed titanium body but the lens starts off at 35 mm and has only 3X zoom. This is below par for a camera in that range. A wide angle lens and 4X or 5X zoom is a must in that price range.

Number of megapixels means jack, even 8 MP is sufficient unless u want really large prints.

Ps for Prices, you can check ebay, some cameras are available at good prices.

Also remember that if u want to learn photography, the camera should have manual controls. I dont know abt the other manufacturers but the LZ8 and LZ10 from panasonic have manual controls. Price is around 6-6.5k for those two

hunt3r said:
W300 is ok but its nothing special. Sure its got a brushed titanium body but the lens starts off at 35 mm and has only 3X zoom. This is below par for a camera in that range. A wide angle lens and 4X or 5X zoom is a must in that price range.

Number of megapixels means jack, even 8 MP is sufficient unless u want really large prints.

Ps for Prices, you can check ebay, some cameras are available at good prices.

Also remember that if u want to learn photography, the camera should have manual controls. I dont know abt the other manufacturers but the LZ8 and LZ10 from panasonic have manual controls. Price is around 6-6.5k for those two

true that u don't need that many megapixels ,but u have to understand the size of the sensor in the sony, which is big,i have personaly compared the images of canon g10 and sony w300,both were even with the sony giving more punchy colors, a trade mark feature of the carl zeiss lens.
about the zoom range,yes i agree it doesn't offer good zoom or wide angle shot,but it is certainly better then the canon ixus 95 or any other cam in its price range for pure image quality.

^^ Yes almost all P&S cameras have a 1/2.3 CCD sensors which really should be around 5 - 6 megapixels. Pulling 12 MPs from such small sensors is pure overkill and the image quality goes for a toss as the lenses attached cannot resolve much detail from such a small sensor crammed with megapixels.

The Sony W300 has a much larger 1/1.7 CCD sensor which are used in the top of the line P&S cameras like the Canon G10. And while 12 MPs is a bit much from even this sensor size, its still better.

Hmm.. well eve im planning on buying a camera for my parents with a budget of 15k.. and while ebaying i tumbled across:

eBay India: SONY CYBERSHOT DSC T500 10.1MP DIGICAM + 8GB CARD +CASE (item 120442559742 end time 04-Jul-2009 16:05:00 IST)

Now there are 2 things i want to know:-

1. How good is the t500 in comparison with the w300? Which one is better, cause t500 certainly wins in zoom dept.

2. What are the pro's and cons of buying a grey piece? cause iv been using a sony cam bought from dubai and its working fine for the last 2-3 years and also i personally feel the only reason something goes wrong in a cam is if its droped/jerked etc in which case even sony service would not claim it under warranty. So basically the pro's and con's of grey?

3. Also is it advisable to buy grey of ebay or going personally to someplace like alfa in bombay?

thanks an sorry for hijacking your thread but i feel these answers would help you just as much as me!

Cheers!

amityrock said:
Now there are 2 things i want to know:-
1. How good is the t500 in comparison with the w300? Which one is better, cause t500 certainly wins in zoom dept.
2. What are the pro's and cons of buying a grey piece? cause iv been using a sony cam bought from dubai and its working fine for the last 2-3 years and also i personally feel the only reason something goes wrong in a cam is if its droped/jerked etc in which case even sony service would not claim it under warranty. So basically the pro's and con's of grey?
3. Also is it advisable to buy grey of ebay or going personally to someplace like alfa in bombay?

thanks an sorry for hijacking your thread but i feel these answers would help you just as much as me!
Cheers!

well the T series is primarly for people who want realy slim camera,in terms image quality it is quite good,but still won't come close to the image quality of W300,the T500 does have the advantage in video recording since it can shoot in 720p HD and also uses a more efficient format,but its battery life is a good 70% less then the W300.
the pros of buying in grey is the price,the cons is no warranty.

All point-and-shoot cams are sh*t. If you want to learn photography start saving some dough and get Sony A200 (in grey for around 22K).

For now get any cheapo cam to click occasional pics. almost all P&S will give you same result when conditions are ideal (good light etc) and when the conditions are bad, they all will fail.

If you don't want to go DSLR way, look for manual control similar to what Canon cams have and if possible wide angle the way Panasonic cams have it.

mav2000 said:
According to dpreview, the sd880 is is way better than the sony w300....

well DP review i feel is a bit biased towards canon,considering they say the image quality is better in canon,if u download the images from DP review u can actualy see that the sony is still better then the canon.i quite don't know how they came to that conclusion that canon was better.

adder said:
any particular reasons why they won't like grey market stuff,u do get all the cables,straps,manual,box etc just like the showroom,only thing u won't get is bill and warranty.

Precisely those reasons.

Warranty is what they'll be looking at.
adder said:
well DP review i feel is a bit biased towards canon,considering they say the image quality is better in canon,if u download the images from DP review u can actualy see that the sony is still better then the canon.i quite don't know how they came to that conclusion that canon was better.

I agree with this aspect. DPreview is way biased towards Canon {and I'm guessing Canon fanboys will think I'm biased towards Sony, which isn't exactly the case}

As for the camera, I've not been updated by them (for whom I intend to buy the cam) so I guess they're not too keen about one. Lets see...will trouble you guys again at a later date ;)

is it safe to buy grey market cameras from ebay. because they are like too cheap to sound true even after the price conversion from USD. are they fake or something?

Back