Camera camera suggestions ..... entry level SLR

Rahul

Skilled
i am planning to get a SLR from US .....

my budget is around 600-700US$ .......

currently i am considering canon S3 IS(tho its not a SLR but quality is on par as far as i found out ) ...... don't know much about this model other than online reviews ...... so if u guys know better model than this then let me know ..... :)

in 700-750$ you'll get the Rebel XTi body. You'll have to plonk down another 400 or so on lenses to really do justice to that 700$ of electronics. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the kit lens unless you really need that wide angle. Also the S3 IS is no way close to a DSLR.... anything higher than 200 ISO and its dead. Also its a 1/1.8" reduced frame sensor while a DSLR is 22mmx15mm. The difference in quality due to this will be huge. I bought this a while back...

Rebel XT
Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM AF Zoom lens
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 AF Prime Lens
UV Filters for both
Extra battery
2GB Sandisk 80X CF card.
Plus some extra junk....

Total cost : 1004$

^ Lol, that's like $400 over his budget :p

Also consider the Sony Alpha with stock lenses, its pretty good, no matter how much Chaos loves his XT :bleh:

^^He said 700$ for only body :p. I assume he has an extra budget for lenses ;). Frankly speaking, no kit lens is good... they are kit lenses for a reason... they are meant to be cheap :p. The only kit lens I'd remotely consider buying is the Nikon 18-70mm. Rather nice lens but then again its like 300$ for the kit lens :p. Between the alpha and the D80 which have identical picture quality cos of the same sensor, I'd take the D80 cos of the pentaprism viewfinder. All other entry level DSLRs are pentamirror which means the viewfinder won't be as bright as the final image you get :(. The other plus of the Nikon is the higher variety of Nikon Lenses compared to Minolta lenses that the Alpha must use. A good DSLR body is only 30% of the story... the rest 70% depends on the optics you use with it. Frankly speaking, I'm not happy with the choice of my zoom lens... Its just a very basic entry level zoom... I'd have been happier with an L series glass :D.

thanks for all suggestion guys i think i will go for D50 or D40 ...... lenses will take some more time :( ......

Back