Audio can a tv remote control volume of HT?

taher

Adept
i have 2 doubts exactly

first one is
i have heard that tv's transmit only stereo through optical out (not 5.1 even if the source is 5.1 example hd set top box)
how true is that and if its true is it the case with all the tv's or only a few models

and the second one is
can we control the volume of sound system connected to a tv through optical out with the tv remote?

what i have in mind is to setup my drawing room with a 42" tv with logitech z-5500 and then connect my dvd player, set top box, and media player to the tv through hdmi and route the sound through optical out to z-5500

thnks in advance :)

Vasishta.Sushant said:
Dude try getting a universal remote control.

Sent from my Dell Streak
that's my last option....

but i wanted to know is there any other solution without a univercell remote

taher said:
i have 2 doubts exactly

first one is

i have heard that tv's transmit only stereo through optical out (not 5.1 even if the source is 5.1 example hd set top box)

how true is that and if its true is it the case with all the tv's or only a few models

and the second one is

can we control the volume of sound system connected to a tv through optical out with the tv remote?

what i have in mind is to setup my drawing room with a 42" tv with logitech z-5500 and then connect my dvd player, set top box, and media player to the tv through hdmi and route the sound through optical out to z-5500

thnks in advance :)
I have a similar setup right now....

sammy 40"C630 + Z 5500

The optical out from sammy is connected to 5500. All the 5.1 DTS and Dolby signals can be passthrough and 5500 decodes them. But the TV and 5500 cannot decode AAC signals. They will be output in 2.1 only. Tested this with USB.

The remote of the TV only controls the sound from the TV since the signal is passed directly to 5500.

For HD channels for example airtel has analog spdif o/p. 5500 has this input. so just buy an analog spdif cabel to get 5.1.

^I am in a similar situation but with a Philips HTIB that accepts 2 digital inputs. Connected the C630 to the receiver via the optical cable. The TV cannot passthrough the DTS/Dolby D signals when the source is USB but it can flawlessly do so when the sources are anything via HDMI - the X360, PS3, media player etc.

sg3707 said:
For HD channels for example airtel has analog spdif o/p. 5500 has this input. so just buy an analog spdif cabel to get 5.1.

What is an analog spdif o/p and analog spdif cable? :S Did you mean the 3 3.5mm jacks as inputs?

sg3707 said:
I have a similar setup right now....

sammy 40"C630 + Z 5500

The optical out from sammy is connected to 5500. All the 5.1 DTS and Dolby signals can be passthrough and 5500 decodes them. But the TV and 5500 cannot decode AAC signals. They will be output in 2.1 only. Tested this with USB.

The remote of the TV only controls the sound from the TV since the signal is passed directly to 5500.

Gannu said:
^I am in a similar situation but with a Philips HTIB that accepts 2 digital inputs. Connected the C630 to the receiver via the optical cable. The TV cannot passthrough the DTS/Dolby D signals when the source is USB but it can flawlessly do so when the sources are anything via HDMI - the X360, PS3, media player etc.
thanks guys that's exactly the answer i was asking for :)

now i can go ahead with my purchase

Gannu said:
What is an analog spdif o/p and analog spdif cable? :S Did you mean the 3 3.5mm jacks as inputs?
What I meant was Analog SPDIF cable is that Co-Axial SPDIF Cable, not the Optical SPDIF cable.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

The same TV is able to passthrough DTS and Dolby signals through USB also.

sg3707 said:
The same TV is able to passthrough DTS and Dolby signals through USB also.
You mean the Z5500 can decode the signals when you are playing an hd-rip through the TV's USB ports and when the Z5500 is connected via the optical cable from the TV?

Back