Can an ipad 2 wifi only version use internet other than wi-fi?

MAGNeT

Skilled
Want a tablet.

But cant go for wifi-3g version straight as the price difference it commanding is much more than just wifi.

Since ipad 2 doesnt have a usb port can i use it anyway to connect to Internet with dongle?

I am planning to use internet from mtnl sim.

Or else any other tablet (tab 750)option.

I need a good battery life plus anything which have 32gb or more memory.
I want to restrict my buy price around 32k max.

It may be possible to connect to a android phone which acts as a wifi hot spot.

But i was never able to make it work on webOS on touchpad.

Get one of those mobile routers. AFAIK, Olive has one, will post the link later.

Also you could go for a ASUS RT N13, but you will be tethered at home or where there is a plug point.

raksrules said:
It may be possible to connect to a android phone which acts as a wifi hot spot.

But i was never able to make it work on webOS on touchpad.

You mean to say i make one android mobile as the jacket for the sim and use it as main source of net.ANd if needed on ipad i must connect via it right?

As you said is that really feasible?

ALso how good is this

Notion Ink Adam NI3421-A01A9

LCD, Wi-Fi + 3G

As it looks to suffice all my needs.I want for surfing and watching few business channels and do some shares trading

Yes that is what i exactly meant.

But this is economically feasible only if you have an android device with you at present. No point spending money to buy an android phone just for this purpose.

As an alternative, i would second what Vivek mentioned above, get that mobile router etc which takes a 3G/EDGE SIM and then you can use its internet over wifi on your ipad 2.

I have never used any tablet except my touchpad so cannot comment much. But personally i too want a tablet being able to take SIM card since wifi may not available all the time.

raksrules said:
As an alternative, i would second what Vivek mentioned above, get that mobile router etc which takes a 3G/EDGE SIM and then you can use its internet over wifi on your ipad 2.

Can you give some example of mobile router.

I am not getting an idea what vivek was mentioning.

I do have spice mi410.But i am already not happy with its battery life and i feel the hot-spot stuff will add to my woe .But yes i can go ahead with that idea as i can keep on charging while using.

Save up money get a 3G version for total peace of mind. I got wifi version ipad2 initially it was a brick out of the house. 3G teethering works but most of the apps $uck out the battery.

MAGNeT said:
Can you give some example of mobile router.

I am not getting an idea what vivek was mentioning.

I do have spice mi410.But i am already not happy with its battery life and i feel the hot-spot stuff will add to my woe .But yes i can go ahead with that idea as i can keep on charging while using.

I am using Huawei E585 with Reliance 3G GSM sim and it is excellent. A laptop, desktop, mobile, Tablet, everything can connect to it simultaneously. It is slightly bigger than a matchbox and it can take a sim directly unlike Olive thing which needs a USB data card which makes it bulky.

Huawei MiFi E585 review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Modem routers

Is metal say true that such device will suck up enough battery?

Also putting 4-5k for such device looks too steep at most 2 k looks feasible to me.

Now say if i get a tab 2 from galaxy what are the downside?

I guess even that doesnt have usb ports.

Again i am repeating that ill use it with mtnl 3g sim which i yet have to test.

Also will be able to go for some channels with the sim?

i used three different phones as wifi hotspots.

I finally ended up getting verizon fivespot and i do agree with buying wifi plus 3g.

that works best.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

nokia e51 used to die within half an hour or so.

android also sucks battery big time.

another thing i did was asus pocket router which accepts usb modems and give hot spot but its not battery operated.

Having a phone as hotspot will kill the phone's battery big time. You can expect the phone to last for 1-1.5 hour only when 3G is continuously being used and wifi hot spot is enabled.

Just saw the mobile router.

Huawei E585 MiFi

COst 6.5k brand new.

Suppose i get a 32 giga ipad 2 wifi (of-coursed used)for same 25k and 7k for this device ;32k total.

Will that be a good buy or should i go for wifi+3g model(but than again i have to make it microsim and i cant use the sim except surfing than i guess i wont be able to make calls via it this way?)

right?

MAGNeT said:
Just saw the mobile router.

Huawei E585 MiFi

COst 6.5k brand new.

Suppose i get a 32 giga ipad 2 wifi (of-coursed used)for same 25k and 7k for this device ;32k total.

Will that be a good buy or should i go for wifi+3g model(but than again i have to make it microsim and i cant use the sim except surfing than i guess i wont be able to make calls via it this way?)

right?

Quote from another website, it may help you.

I'll capture a few things...else you can just google for Huawei E585 and you'll get tons and tons of unbiased reviews

I bought it for about 5K. I have an iPhone and am planning to get iPad. It's difficult to have a 3G sim for each of these devices. I already had 2 USB dongles: E1752 and UMG1831. I was planning to get a USB 3G portable router where I can plug in my dongle and create a wifi hot spot...but when I tried searching for one in ebay, they were starting from 3.5K and that battery life was pretty pathetic on them..about 1.5 hours. Also, it would add bulk to the same.

Huawei E585 is a very portable Mi-Fi router. They have a web console, where you make all the settings the first time and save the config. Then you place the 3G sim in it, on the device..it automatically first connects to the network and then to the data part (bsnlnet). It takes about 30-40 seconds in doing so.

It has OLED display and displays foll info:
- Network name
- Roaming or not
- Type of connection: 3G/HSPA
- Signal strength
- No of devices connected to the wifi hot spot
- Total data transfer in that session
- Time for which that session was used
- Battery status
- Any unread text messages

The battery lasts about 5 hours in constant use (mentioned in spec and I get similar results)

You can also get extra battery..readily available online

The device can also be used while plugged into power outlet or to the computer via usb cable. This way, you can use the device for as long as your laptop is up.

The device is very portable and light weight....now I do not have to worry about getting another 3G sim for my iPhone.
You can also use the mobile partner software that comes with the E1750 modem for:
- Sending and receiving text messages
- Connecting to internet via USB (like we do in standard USB dongles)
- Use USSD to check balance and stuff

I've already sold my UMG1831 dongle...no point keeping 21 mbps modem when you're not going to get it anytime in near future. BTW..E585 supports upto 7.2mbps download...very sufficient right now.

Overall..a great device and worth having one.

No.

The iPad is not a phone. You can, however, make phone calls via one of the IP phone services such as Skype as long as you have an Internet connection from the iPad. You can do that with E585 also.

MAGNeT said:
And with ipad 2 wifi+3g model(just asking for knowledge sake)

Back