Can I connect the common neutral to this smart switch?

somus

Recruit
I got this Protium 16A smart switch to connect it to my water heater switch. I am not well-versed in wiring these switches, so I hired an electrician to wire them. He said there is no neutral wire connected directly to the heater plug from the switch box, but the wiring diagram says N-Out needs to connect to the heater plug's neutral. Can the common neutral wire be connected to N-in and N-out be left out? The electrician was clueless and didn't want to risk testing it out.

41dnX+Jc9.jpg

probably delayed response, but the neutral IN is just to provide neutral to power the smart switch. Neutral in and out are shorted on the smart switch and since the neutral of the house is all common, it will take care of the circuit. the smart switch relay will just switch the connection between the L in and L out and that is sufficient to turn on and off the geyser.

PS: All though these smart switch are rated for 16A they usually have difficult handling heavy loads like water heaters which draw large currents for long durations. they tend to burn out eventually but you can try and find out since it depends on the quality of the relay inside them.

He said there is no neutral wire connected directly to the heater plug from the switch box,
isn't that unsafe? electric current comes through live and passes out through the neutral to form a complete circuit. If there is no neutral it will try other faster paths to ground like water outlet or body of the heater. better get a neutral wire installed to the socket and switch for safety.

Back