Can i connect to internet using IR ?

Kneo

Adept
Hi,
I am having a net connection on a laptop having IR (no bluetooth though). Can I connect to the net using my cell's IR (Nokia 6233 - series 40 v3) ?

Sorry if its a stupid question

U can connect to Net using IR. No issues with that. Just when ur cell gets detected a IR modem will also get installed. Use that to set up a DialUp Connection.

Also if u r not able to dial and connect, reduce the IR baud rate or something from IR Modem Settings to 9600 or something like that. I used to do it LONG ago :)

Can you point me to some link where the steps for this are explained ? I am not quite sure how to go about doing it. i am having a dedicated MTNL connection on the laptop.

Oops my bad. I though u meant connecting ur Laptop to ur Mobiles GPRS connection. Sorry i dont know anything about what u r asking.

But why do u want to surf net on ur Mobile with IR ?? Use GPRS na.

I doubt if there is app that would allow you to do that...the practical utility of what you want to do is Zero...If you are in Line of sight with your PC, you might as well use the PC...

With BT, it is different as you can use the net on your cell even from other rooms or away from the PC...With IR, you have to be in line of sight of the IR device on your PC and within a few feet

^^ If i can access net on my phone, i can directly download a lot of stuff for my cell using the net !!! Thats the whole idea. I currently dont have a bluetooth adapter or a data cable

Back