OC & Modding Can i OC E6300 with Asus P5B-TMX motherboard??

harpreet89

Disciple
Hi friends, i currently have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @1.86GHz and Asus P5B-TMX-GB-SI motherboard.

Its actually an Intel 946GZ based motherboard.

So, my actual question is that can i OC my processor using this motherboard. There is no option in motherboard to change FSB or AI Overclocking feature as in ASUS new motherboards.

It just got something like Multiplier which it says AUTO/Manual. When set to Auto, CPU-Z show multiplier as 6.0 and when set to manual, it max goes upto 7.

So, is there any way to OC it to atleast 2.0 or 2.2GHz.

Waiting for reply....

harpreet89 said:
Hi friends, i currently have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @1.86GHz and Asus P5B-TMX-GB-SI motherboard.

Its actually an Intel 946GZ based motherboard.

So, my actual question is that can i OC my processor using this motherboard. There is no option in motherboard to change FSB or AI Overclocking feature as in ASUS new motherboards.

It just got something like Multiplier which it says AUTO/Manaul. When set to Auto, CPU-Z show multiplier as 6.0 and when set to manual, it max goes upto 7.

So, is there any way to OC it to atleast 2.0 or 2.2GHz.

Waiting for reply....
well u can try to o'c it with o'cing softwares but it aint that reliable and stable....

taher said:
well u can try to o'c it with o'cing softwares but it aint that reliable and stable....
tried to OC it with SetFSB, but cant get it OCed. When i changed the FSB rating from 266.7MHz to 270MHz just to test whether this thing works or not, the system got hang and i had to restart it.

Also, i thought of updating BIOS version but i couldnt find my motherboard there on the ASUS support site.

Did you buy that motherboard from some shop or is it from some oem/branded computer?

Please list out the entire hardware specs of your computer, especially the power supply and memory (RAM).

Also do note that it's not safe to overclock unless you have a good psu and good cooling.

I have a HCL Busybee desktop which i purchased in 2007.

Since it was out of warranty, i've upgraded its RAM, hard drive and GPU.

Orginal config was C2D E6300, 1GB DDR2, 160GB , on-board Intel GMA

Now, C2D E6300, 3GB DDR2, 160+500GB, ATI 4670HD 1GB DDR3.

And i've noticed one thing when i changed the multiplier from Auto to Manual and set the multiplier to 7.0, then Windows Experience Index rating for GPU got changed.

Earlier, it was 6.7 without OCing(with MSI afterburner),

after OCing it was6.8

after changing the multiplier from Auto to Manual[7.0], its now 6.9.

Why this change happened???

^ So it's most probably am oem motherboard and seems very unlikely to have any overclocking options as you have mentioned previously.

Not sure of the exact reason for the change in your WEI rating but maybe EIST got disabled or there might have been a minor change in the final clock speeds of the processor.

If you are keen to know, you may repeat what all you did and this time, please use CPU-Z and GPU-Z or other tools to note what changed and thus affects your WEI. :)

If you are very keen on overclocking that processor to a small extent and not planning on upgrading the entire computer anytime soon, you may purchase a G31/G41 motherboard.

Else i suggest keep using what you have and save that money for the next full upgrade. :)

Well i'm too thinking of keeping this system as it is and save on some money to go for full upgrade.
As currently this system serves my daily usage purpose and handle most of the games quiet well. But the processor is still bottlenecked due to GPU. So i thought a little OC would do some magic.

I'm using CPU-Z to check the clock speed.
Earlier before settings, then multiplier got automatically changed from 6.0 to 7.0 in auto mode when any heavy application starts.

But after changing it to Manual Mode[7.0], the processor clock still remains 1866MHz and the Multiplier remains at 7.0.

Here is the screen shot:[attached]

Attachments

• multi6.jpg
    multi6.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 184
^ seems like you mostly won't gain anything in terms of performance if you change from automatic to manual mode.

Unless that setting is linked to the memory settings and allows you to tighten timings or increase the speed on the RAM.

If the automatic setting allows the processor multiplier and voltage to drop down while idling, you may atleast benefit from some power-saving. :)

p.s. did you mean GPU is bottlenecked by the CPU?

And please take that thought out of your mind and be happy.

4670 and E6300 are quite an ok pair, even at stock settings.

We only get as much performance out of stuff as much as we pay for-most of the times. :p

well, i think both CPU and GPU got botteneck while i'm on Battlefiled:Bad Company 2. Now, i'm running GPU in stock 750MHz(Core)/800Mhz(memory) settings and get around 25-30 FPS with high settings at 1280X1024.

In COD MW , i used to get ~60 FPS. And similar games run around 40-60 FPS. But i thought if i OC my proccy a little bit, then it might give me extra performance boost. Also, i feel that 4670 is bottlenecking CPU:p, coz sometimes when i'm on NFS, GPU's temp and usage are average (60-70%) but CPU shoots to 100%.
That's why i asked.

And about the power saving feature,, ohh yes,,used to run this machine all day and it consumes around 60-80W at MAX while in idle and not more than 250W (i think so while on 100% load).:bleh:

Well, i am totally confused on your description of the "bottleneck" in your system.

But seems like we have to be happy with what we have for now.

All the best- take care- happy gaming. :)

yup, i think so, well for atleast 2 years or so.I'll be keeping this pc for 2 years or until it die(whichever is earlier). So, if i upgrade its CPU n PSU (or i go for new motherboard which support OC + good CPU cooler), would this be a better decision??

Or i should just left it as it is as its serving most of my purpose right now....???

^ From what i understood (please do point out if wrong),

You want to keep this computer for another 2 years or till it begins to give you severe problems.

So that may warrant an upgrade to a cheap but effective G31/G41 motherboard.

But if you want to OC, you most probably will have to buy a good power supply and a good cpu cooler too.

While you may see some increase in performance overall, how much your gaming experience will improve is not a definite as the GPU is a HD4670 after all.

Looking at the the total expense incurred for overclocking the existing processor, i am not sure if it's advisable to do so.

Even i am truly confused when i put myself in your position.

On a personal note, i think i would have played it safe and stuck to what i have and saved all the money for the next, well-planned upgrade.

(Now if the existing mobo developed faults, i would have bought a new G31/G41 to keep the rig going.

And that would have OCing options.

So i would OC a bit and have issues.

I would ask on forums and everyone would suggest i need a good PSU and CPU cooler.

And the tale continues. :p)

I too think that i should save some money and go for full upgrade.

As this motherboard cant OC the processor. So, i think i should wait until i have enough money to upgrade it completely.

Thanks for your suggestion "pegasus".

Back