Budget 0-20k Can I use a 16 GB 2400 MHz stick alongside existing 8 GB 2400 MHz RAM?

Hekhun

Recruit
I have a 8GB 2400 MHz ram installed in my Z690 HD3P mobo. As a upgrade, I'm wondering if it would be possible to install a 16 GB stick of same frequency to give my pc a memory boost. Please advice.

It will give you more memory yeah but obviously it won't run in dual channel mode and the RAM timings will accommodate to whichever is slower and therefore more compatible.

Yes, you will have 24GB in total.
But read somewhere where people suggested to use same volume rams, so that it can utilize properly. (like 16GB+16GB).

Ya @dhekun it will work without issues. Even if it was of higher speeds system will degrade the speed to match the low speed ram except that no dual channel benefit!

Thank y'all. Does that mean I can use any combination of ram size with varied frequencies without any issues?
Size will affect the dual channel performance. If you have 8GB in 1 channel right now and you put 16GB in 2nd channel then only the first 8GB of the 2nd channel will work as dual channel along with the 1st channel 8GB RAM, the other 8GB of the 2nd channel would work as single channel RAM.

As for the frequency, RAM always works on the fastest supported frequency by all the sticks. So if one of your stick is 2400Mhz max and you put in a brand spanking new 3600Mhz stick in 2nd slot then it'll only work at 2400Mhz max since that's what the other stick can do.

Size will affect the dual channel performance. If you have 8GB in 1 channel right now and you put 16GB in 2nd channel then only the first 8GB of the 2nd channel will work as dual channel along with the 1st channel 8GB RAM, the other 8GB of the 2nd channel would work as single channel RAM.

As for the frequency, RAM always works on the fastest supported frequency by all the sticks. So if one of your stick is 2400Mhz max and you put in a brand spanking new 3600Mhz stick in 2nd slot then it'll only work at 2400Mhz max since that's what the other stick can do.
Nooo, completely absurd and not related. Since DDR2 it all has changed and even big brands are also PC's with 12 GB configurations.

Even i have used PC's with 2 + 6 configs no issues at all.

Nooo, completely absurd and not related. Since DDR2 it all has changed and even big brands are also PC's with 12 GB configurations.

Even i have used PC's with 2 + 6 configs no issues at all.
Seems like you just blurted out anything without proper research. I don't want to argue with you regarding this but I never said you'll have issues or it won't work. Read again what I said.
And if you do happen to read then here's some documentation regarding it,

And that would be all from my side. You can go in more depth regarding that topic but the gist it that yes, while it'll work and show up as "Dual channel" config in your PC but it's not "fully" dual channel as only the 8GB + first 8GB of the 16GB stick is in dual channel config and rest of the 8GB on the 16GB stick works in single channel.

While many companies ship PCs with weird memory configurations with mismatched sizes, that isn't wrong and doesn't affect a normal user but it'll surely reflect in benchmarks if you had a proper matched RAM configuration.
I rest my case.

Insightful
Seems like you just blurted out anything without proper research. I don't want to argue with you regarding this but I never said you'll have issues or it won't work. Read again what I said.

And that would be all from my side. You can go in more depth regarding that topic but the gist it that yes, while it'll work and show up as "Dual channel" config in your PC but it's not "fully" dual channel as only the 8GB + first 8GB of the 16GB stick is in dual channel config and rest of the 8GB on the 16GB stick works in single channel.

While many companies ship PCs with weird memory configurations with mismatched sizes, that isn't wrong and doesn't affect a normal user but it'll surely reflect in benchmarks if you had a proper matched RAM configuration.
I rest my case.

I rest my case.
Its just speculation, doesn't prove anything to worry about.

It should work, but you loose out on some benefits like dual / multi - channel advantage, and a slight bit due to slightly different JEDEC ratings. One of the rams may have to run slower than the other to match the JEDEC spec compatible with both the RAMs. Ideally you should go for 8 + 8 GB or 16 + 16GB for best performance. If all you are looking for is capacity, then 8 + 16 should do the trick, however you are leaving out some performance on the table. I was not able to find your exact motherboard, but if your processor and motherboard support it, you could get 2 8GB sticks and get them to run in a triple channel config, that way you reap the benefits of multi-channel as well as get the capacity.

Back