Graphic Cards Can i use a 7300gs for physics processing???

The question is can i use a currently available 7300 gs gfx card to do physics processsing ??? If yes what addl. things will i need and how much the entire setup ( mobo ,etc) cost???? Also what is diff. between this card and a high end card like 7900gt when it comes to physics processing???

The reason is i am planning to purchase this card now and would like to use it for physics processing( instead of throwing it away) when i get a better rig in the immediate future.

I am somewat confused abt this phx processor thing and any help would be welcome!!!!!

Well ... technically yess ... but it'll depend upon the game too ... if u want a more future proof product regarding the physix card .... i'd suggest u to wait and see for some more time ...

If your talking about nVidia's new announcement.

Your gonna have to hook up, like 2 7900GT's, and then in a 3rd PCI-e Slot, you can put the 7300GS, and use it as a Physics Processing Unit.

But thats still not ready, and only a few boards with 3 PCI-e x16 slots are available!

Aditya said:
Your gonna have to hook up, like 2 7900GT's, and then in a 3rd PCI-e Slot, you can put the 7300GS, and use it as a Physics Processing Unit.

Oh!!! Can't we use a single card like 7900gt or G80 ( instead of two gfx cards) and then put the 7300GS and use it for physics processing in a board with 3 PCI-e x16 slots or even the current boards with 2 PCI-ex16 slots???

Aces170 said:
^^ Lol wouldnt it be just cheaper to get a Phys X card...

Yup it would be cheaper, will draw less power, give better performance for the price, will run flawlessly and cooler.

archer_0042000 said:
Oh!!! Can't we use a single card like 7900gt or G80 ( instead of two gfx cards) and then put the 7300GS and use it for physics processing in a board with 3 PCI-e x16 slots or even the current boards with 2 PCI-ex16 slots???

Well you can, but to process what. You can only use it to process physx if the game developers code the game for the particular API that the card can process. That API is the Havox FX API and no game has even been announced that uses hardware Havok FXacceleration. Around 60 games iirc have been announced that use the Aegia Physx API on the other hand with 2 already available. So it will depend on the API the game supports and at this point, its looking Physx dominated.

hunt3r said:
Well you can, but to process what. You can only use it to process physx if the game developers code the game for the particular API that the card can process. That API is the Havox FX API and no game has even been announced that uses hardware Havok FXacceleration. Around 60 games iirc have been announced that use the Aegia Physx API on the other hand with 2 already available. So it will depend on the API the game supports and at this point, its looking Physx dominated.

So do you think the cheapest way to get physics processing would be to hope that some mobo manufacturers would incorporate the Aegia Physx API into their mobo and mass produce them so that they become a lot less expensive????

Also one final question( asked earlier by thixkull):-

Can a dual core cpu help in this matter??? Do you know any upcoming games that will make use of one of the cores of a dual core cpu to do phx processing???

According to my opinion, there's absolutely no need for Physics VPU at this point of time. I think it would be more wiser to wait, untill the DX10 era.

Also, Physx processor by Ageia doesn't look to me too good at the moment, few people who uses them, reports that they've noticed drop in performance with it. ATI or NVIDIA solution will be more better, and I think we should wait unless all games support Havok API. Just because I wouldn't want to see drop in FPS, just for the sake of Physics. It is only beneficial, if you get playable FPS.

@Archer yes thats what i feel, a PPU either integrated onto a gfx card or into the gpu itself would be the best option and make it a lot less expensive. yes dual core will help in upcoming games but no game is specifically coded to use one core for physics. They just improve frame rate.

I agree with Radon, right now there is absolutely no need for a PPU. Its simply not worth the price. The time when it will be worth it to get a ppu will be when many games actually support it and it actually improves performance as well. Oh and the price would also have to take a fall as well.

guys, i know very little about what u'll are talking about,

i have one 7900GT and one 6200TC and an SLI mobo.

should i sell off the 6200 or can i use it for the stuff u'll are talking about above?????

i know i sound stupid, but seriously talking....

For all those expecting a performance increase when using a PPU...forget it:bleh: There's absolutely NO way there can be a performance increase.

Reason's simple - PPU = More physics calculations and particles = more stuff for the GPU to draw. Most games...instead of using the PPU to calculate already displayed particles...instead use it to increase the number of particles on screen(Like the 2 that already support it) So while PPU's will increase performance if they are used at the regular level of particle effects...there will be no increase if the effects are increased. Also the being a PCI card the AGEIA one MIGHT be limited by the bandwidth of PCI compared to PCIx...

Back