Can PayPal be used in India

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know that can we use Paypal to transfer money here in India.

Also does ne one know how paypal funtions.

Paypal is available in India.
Its said here that.
Users in these countries can withdraw funds by paper check or to a U.S. bank account, but cannot withdraw funds electronically to their local bank account.

yes you can accept money here in india. You register for an account and then you transfer a minimal amount from your credit card to the paypal accout for verification.
After you are verified you can accept payments.
WHoever wants to send you money enters your email address with which you are registered on paypal and sends the money which gets credited to your account.
You can withdraw this money in indian rupees cheques.

FOr making payment you can either first transfer money to your paypal from creditcard OR you can add your credit card to your paypal account. In the latter case the payments you make get debited from your credit card automatically.

In US and related countries where eletronic transfer is available the money gets credited to the credit card account directly when you recieve payments but here in India you need to withdraw money in cheques and deposit them in your bank account.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explaination.

one question.
How to withdraw money in cheques.
I mean is there any paypal office here in mumbai where i could go.
confused here how do i get the cheque actually.

Nope you tell them you want your money and they send you a cheque drawn on some bank and cashable in india. I think it is citibank cheque.

Ok now i got it.
I wasnt able to figure out how will i be able to withdraw money from my own account.

Also any credit card would do for a paypal account.

Yes any credit card would do.
And you can make payments to any site that accepts paypal.
However shipping is the isssue and I dont think newegg delivers to india.

Also if credit card is a problem then you can go for HDFC gold debit card (VISA), which lets you createvirtual credit cards for online use.
CHeckout hdfcbank.com for netsafe.

Back