Laptops Can we expect a drastic performance increase when Lion launches for the MBP?

hektor

Disciple
Since I'm almost game to buy a MBP from the U.S later this Fall, i wanted to know about the changes that could come about when Lion is launched? I've read that battery life while running Windows through Bootcamp can be bad? Will Lion address that?
Pardon me if this is a blunder, but will the over-heating problems of the MBP subside considerably with the new OS? Or is it just because of the construction constraints?

Also the recent malware issues that have cropped up with MacDefender is that expected to be rectified?

Also does Lion provide support to add third party SSD's?(I've read that using Opti-bay,one could replace the DVD drive with an SSD.)

If anyone can let me know of the good things that Lion is supposed to bring, please do let me know..Thanks in advance..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I meant: Can we expect a drastic performance increase when Lion launches "for" the MBP?Forgive the typo

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

hey people. say something.

Lion would bring new features to the table. Performance is more hardware dependent than software dependent. Heating problem is due to bad design.

I told it before and will tell it again....MBPs DO NOT have any over heating problem..it runs much cooler than a similar speced windows machine(but with bootcamped windows,it does get hot and the battery life gets reduced significantly)

Why are you so much concerned about DRASTIC performance boost?

Even the Snow leopard just flies on the old C2Ds.

^^ I don't know about the newer MBP's but the order Core 2 based MBP's (These are 17" ones with 2.4GHz C2D's) that we used ran hot enough to fry the skin of your lap if you ever try to put it on your lap. That said, MBP's are desktop replacements and never meant to be put on your lap.

Almost all 20 MBP's bought in that batch that we used ran at 78~85 deg CPU temps during normal operation. However only 3 of them had any real issues with CPU overheating. Two of them frequently hanged while running Windows and one while running Mac OS. For the first two, local Apple service center refused help saying that as long as Mac OS runs fine, they are not obligated to help with issues under Windows. For the other one, they claimed that we are abusing them by running heavy stuff on them all day. (Those idiots didn't want to hear that people pay a premium for MBPs in order to run them like desktop replacements)

@OP: If you want a Lappy that runs cool, then go for a regular Mac Book with lesser specs. MBP's are meant for power users and they do run hot if you are utilizing them properly for what they are designed for. That goes for any portable that is meant to be a desktop replacement.

As for over heating issues, if you do face issues on the off chance, don't expect a lot of help from the service centers no matter which brand. Take them a lappy that doesn't work at all and they will at least try to do something about it. If you take a lappy that is overheating, they are clueless, they would just tell you that you are abusing/overusing the lappy.

@Nemesis

I would like to refute your claim on "Overheating" macbook pros. ;)

I own a macbook pro 13 inch,core 2 duo version.

It does not overheat,it raises to 50s max. :)

under load such as opening photoshop,imovie,iphoto and playing 720p HD flash,yes i do get temperatures of 75+

But that is what it is designed to do.

And also the macbook pro feeling hot,it is only natural,aluminum is a much better dissipator of heat,and hence it does feel hotter than it actually is.

@OP,go for it man.

Lion is supposed to bring many new features.

Look at the below link for features.

Mac OS X Lion Set for July Debut Priced at $29.99, Mac App Store Exclusive - Mac Rumors

Yes third party SSD will work,with full support of TRIM.

Regarding Macdefender,Yes apple has given a security update,so we can say the issue is atleast partially resolved.

Head over to Macrumors.com and you will get to know much more information.

hektor said:
Since I'm almost game to buy a MBP from the U.S later this Fall, i wanted to know about the changes that could come about when Lion is launched? I've read that battery life while running Windows through Bootcamp can be bad? Will Lion address that?
Pardon me if this is a blunder, but will the over-heating problems of the MBP subside considerably with the new OS? Or is it just because of the construction constraints?

Also the recent malware issues that have cropped up with MacDefender is that expected to be rectified?
Battery life using bootcamp is less because Apple doesn't really care much about Windows performance on its Macs. Still, a full charge on my MBP 13" '11 lasts about 4-5 hours using bootcamp. I think that's pretty good, better than a lot of Wintel notebooks. Bootcamp isn't really a part of the OS so i don't think its going to be improved with Lion.
The "MACDefender" issue has already been taken care of with 10.6.7. Don't worry about it.
There are no over-heating problems. A friend has a late '10 13" Air and its one of the coolest notebook I've ever used. It barely gets warm during regular use. My '11 13" MBP runs cool and whisper quiet as well. Exhaust does kick-in when running intensive tasks but it almost never gets uncomfortably hot.

You're just spending way too much time reading stuff on the internet. :p
hektor said:
does Lion provide support to add third party SSD's?(I've read that using Opti-bay,one could replace the DVD drive with an SSD.
Users have been using third party SSDs with Mac notebook since ages. Yes, you can use Opti-bay and install SSD in it.
hektor said:
anyone can let me know of the good things that Lion is supposed to bring, please do let me know..Thanks in advance..

Here. Apple - OS X Lion - Over 250 new features. Read about all of them.

hektor said:
meant: Can we expect a drastic performance increase when Lion launches "for" the MBP?Forgive the typo.
Ofcourse Lion will have some performance optimizations but let me ask this first, what do you need a "drastic" performance increase for? The current Macs running snow leopard are pretty fast machines.

Try to stay away from the white plastic macbooks,even the 2010 models crack spontaneously.I have seen two such machines in my office.

Srirama said:
@Nemesis
I would like to refute your claim on "Overheating" macbook pros. ;)
I own a macbook pro 13 inch,core 2 duo version.
It does not overheat,it raises to 50s max. :)

1. As I mentioned, I don't know about the newer iterations of MBP's. The ones we used are 17" ones C2D's each of which cost 1.75 Lac when they were bought. 13" MBP's didn't even exist at the time. They came in much later.

2. Just because your MBP doesn't run hot doesn't mean none do. If you want more cases of MBP's running hot, you only have to Google. Considering the kind of hardware that goes them and the market they are meant for, its only natural that they run hot. I would be inclined to laugh at anyone who tries to tell me that they don't run hot. Yours is running considerably cooler because of the light work load that you are putting on it as mentioned in your post. With that kind of work load, you would never even be utilizing your investment fully. Also 13" MBP is not exactly an MBP in the real sense. Its more of a cross between MB's and the MBP's. So I guess they won't be running as hot as the high end ones which also have customs GPU's rather than the Intel integrated ones.

3. Running hot does not necessarily mean issues. As I mentioned all our MBP's (20 of them) ran hot, but only three had problems because of the heat. Desktop replacements no matter which brand are always prone to such issues because of their every nature. Which is why I mentioned that if the OP don't want a hot running lappy, he better look at the lower end Mac Books than MBPs because a real MBP would definitely run hot if it is used the way it is meant to be used (Try running with CPU load > 75% for 10 ours each day and never switching it off ever and that is how we ran them).

In any case, if the OP wants to go for the 13" one with the entry level Sandy Bridge Core i3, it shouldn't be much different from a regular MB.

Even the 13" one does not come with SB core i3.The most basic one is i5.

My 13" MBP(one year old c2d) runs about 14-16 hrs each day(Work for WHO,Poliomyelitis surveillance in the hottest parts of Bihar and western U.P)and the max temp.I noticed was 58c.

On same usage pattern the Lattitude runs at 75-80c.

The plastic macbooks probably runs slightly cooler compared to alus,but they really gets dirty within a couple of weeks and turns almost yellow within few months.

They are notorious for cracking up too.

Back