Camera Canon 550D + which lens for 50k?

Shakensoul

Skilled
I think its time to take my photography hobby more seriously and upskill myself. :D

Have been using a Canon S3 IS since the last 5 years and did not regret one moment, infact enjoying every click I have taken except in low light conditions.

So am deciding to stay a loyal customer and be a canon fanboy again. After reading numerous reviews and post, have shortlisted the Canon 550D as my next upgrade. I am still learning the terminology of the SLR world, learning f-stops and mms, so still a very noob at this stage. But I definitely love clicking and capturing and think that I will be able to do a good job with a decent camera and lens.

After reading around a bit, the general opinion about the kit lens is not too great. Some have suggested that its good enough for the starters and will serve the purpose. So my plan is to get an upgraded walkaround lens kit along with the 550d. I will generally click potraits, landscapes, family events and the usual stuff. Indoor and low light performance should be good.

I will be getting a seperate telephoto lens in the future, something like Canon EF-S 55-250mm.

So please recommend a good allround lens for about total 50k including the body, IS is required.

Thanks a lot. :thumb:

The price for the Tamron 17-50/2.8 non VC version hovers around 25k, and the VC version is around 40k+ looking at ebay prices :(

And there are mixed reviews on the tamron.

BTW I am also planning to get the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II separately for low light and indoor clicks.

50mm F 1.8 / 55-250mm price have increased , so if you find them get hold now .

meanwhile 18-135mm price decreased almost 7-8k :ashamed:

instead of 55-250, get the 70-300mm and get a canon lens. Canon lens are argubaly much better than 3rd party lens. the 70-300mm lens is supposed to be the successor of 75-300mm lens and is considered to be worth much more its price. you can get it for 35-39k I guess.

take the above if u wanna buy a zoom lens.

if u wanna buy a close range and can stretch ur budget take the 24-70mm f/2.8L. Its a lens which u can use for ur entire lifetime no matter what ur skill level is:) ...may cost u around 65k though but a hell of a lens; its the best:). Images have a lot of details...

How about a canon 18-135mm IS lens ? Could be a replacement for stock kit lens and offer decent zooming and has IS as well, along with a 50mm F1.8 prime lens.

Well...I would still suggest the 24-70mm if u have the budget and are ok with getting just one lens as of now:) (u did mention u would get a telephoto later on) ...u won't need the 50mm f1.8 prime lens in this case.

Even though I would love to get the 24-70mm f/2.8L, it way out of budget :(

Maximum I can spare 20k for the upgraded kit lens :ashamed:

Then I guess 18-135 is a pretty good option.

Also, u can look at 18-200mm which is a decent lens and give a fair enough zoom range

The canon showroom that i went to last week had two combos on show.

Body + 18-55 for 38k and

Body + 18-135 for 55k.

I guess the second option is close to your budget and as advised by others, a pretty good option.

Sent from a Galaxy in the S2 system

or just get the body for 28k and get a 18-200mm lens for 35k:)... it would be 63k but u will not need any upgrades for next 1 yr atleast...maybe even 3 yrs depending upon how passionate u get

vercetti said:
or just get the body for 28k and get a 18-200mm lens for 35k:)... it would be 63k but u will not need any upgrades for next 1 yr atleast...maybe even 3 yrs depending upon how passionate u get

Well, 18-200mm is not the ultimate solution.. instead it is more like compromise lens for travellers kind of people who dont want like the changing lens thing (though changing lens is imp feature of DSLR)

vercetti said:
Then I guess 18-135 is a pretty good option.

Also, u can look at 18-200mm which is a decent lens and give a fair enough zoom range

even though 18-200 seems a better allrounder than 18-135, its too bulky (16cm+) compared to the 18-135 (10cm) and the 18-200 is way over his budget. A seperate 55-250 (<10k) IS can save some bucks.

Just my thoughts. :)

Agree with what Aravind said...

Err...There is no such term as ultimate solution in SLR atleast ot just with one lens...OP wants to spend the minimum to get a lens and is on a budget. So obviously asking him to buy a plethora of lenses will not help. So under the circumstances; gave the best choice he has with his budget which would cover close and tele range.

ashvarybabul said:
Well, 18-200mm is not the ultimate solution.. instead it is more like compromise lens for travellers kind of people who dont want like the changing lens thing (though changing lens is imp feature of DSLR)

To me 18-55mm IS + 55-200mm + 50mm f/1.8 sounds a peaceful solution for now....

Will serve you enough till u decide which good lens to go for..

Thanks guys, all suggestions are valuable so please keep them coming.

Have been reading about the tamron 17-50. Will the absence of IS be a problem for a first time dslr user ? How will be the video performance. Anyone here used the lens ?

Shakensoul said:
Thanks guys, all suggestions are valuable so please keep them coming.

Have been reading about the tamron 17-50. Will the absence of IS be a problem for a first time dslr user ? How will be the video performance. Anyone here used the lens ?

Tamron 17-50mm is a beautiful lens. Had been reading about it since 2 yrs. Got excellent feedback from friends also who are using it.

Very sharp lens and lovely open aperture in it :) Good for night stuff..

I doubt absence of IS will hurt you. BTW, read some places that non IS version is sharper than IS version :p

Ok guys..I am leaning towards the tamron 17-50mm non VC version since its looks like the most eligible upgrade to the kit lens in that budget range.

BTW, the ebay seller who is selling the Canon 550D for 33k is a seller from Palika Bazar, New Delhi, shop name Mod Cameras/Mod Enterprises. Is buying from them advisable, because generally I don't trust sellers from Palika.

Back