Canon DSLR Lens AF not working

Hi,

I have a Canon 450D DSLR with Canon 18-55mm kit lens. Last week the Auto Focus stopped working all of a sudden though I can still take pics in manual focus mode.

I googled it and tried the sensor cleaning tips i found but did not work.
Anyone faced a similar problem and found a solution to it ? I'll really appreciate any help. Thanks

how did that happen?? did you check the MF/AF button on the lens or did you try operating the MF mechanism when the lens is set on AF, the kit lens doesn't have manual focus override so if you try to focus manually in AF mode of lens then you might damage the lens gears..

sorry to hear that dude..how is the movement/feel on manual focus..is it jittery or like on heavy side..any extra sounds you are hearing..if thats the case you need not tamper and send it for repair..if canon says no solution then try the local market they might still be able to repair it..

No I did not try to manually focus on AF mode and in Manual Focus mode it feels fine. There is sometimes a slight movement as if it tries to focus automatically but is not able to.... will try the repair shop and see how it goes. thanks fr the input guys.

In India there are Canon Service shops operated by Canon itself,It will be good as local repairs may cause calibration error.

I also have the same problem with 450D that too from last week..
the MF is working fine with no probs but AF is not happening after a shot or two..
thinking of taking to canon service center for repair...

Back