Canon Ixus 80 or Sony W220

IceFusion said:
Canon IXus eyes closed, especially in terms of image quality...

Just noticed that Canon Ixus 80's lens is 38mm. This factor has suddenly put me off from buying it :S

Sony W220 has a 30 mm lens !!!

OK same doubt. Won't the 12.1 MP in the Sony and the 8MP in the canon make a difference ? Price is the same. Plus the Sony has the Carl-Zeiss-tessar optics. And has a slightly bigger 2.7" LCD (as compared to 2.5" on the canon). Is the Canon still a better purchase ? Also the optical zoom on Sony is 4X , and on canon its 3X.

It seems Canon has launched a upgrade to the Canon Ixus 80 in the form of Canon Ixus 95 a couple of days back (In fact it launched as many as 23 new products)

Canon Ixus 95 has a 35mm lens still its worse of than Sony W220's 30 mm. Its available at a MRP of Rs.13995 and is selling on ebay at Rs.13500

http://www.techshout.com/cameras/2009/09/canon-launches-new-digital-cameras-and-camcorders-in-india/

@ Phoenix: Anything about 8 MP doesn't really make a difference so that shouldn't be the sole deciding factor in choosing a camera.

Ik now. But nearly all of the features of the Sony seem to be better than Canon, including Optics, LCD Size, Lens, optical Zoom. Maybe i should check the two in person before deciding.

PhOeNiX said:
Ik now. But nearly all of the features of the Sony seem to be better than Canon, including Optics, LCD Size, Lens, optical Zoom. Maybe i should check the two in person before deciding.

Yes. I am also moving in favour of the W220.

As you mentioned, the main differences are:

W220 - 2.7 inch LCD; Ixus80 - 2.5 inch LCD

W220 - 30 mm lens; Ixus80 - 38 mm lens

W220 - ISO 3200 supported; Ixus - maximum ISO 1600

W220 - 4x zoom; Ixus - 3x zoom

W220 - 370 shots per charge; Ixus - 240 shots

The wide lens on the W220 is the main differentiating factor as far as I am concerned. Rest all points are manageable.

went to the market today to do some study.. i was looking for w220, ixus 85 IS , nikon s550, ixus 980 IS , sony t90 ..

they showed me live peices of w220 ixus 85 nikon s550 and according to me .. Nikon was the best ..in terms of image quality.. but canon was'nt far behind and sony lacked behind at some important point's

lyk the screen was'nt bright enough .. the flash wasnt much powerfull and night mode was nt good enuf when i compared it to ixus 85..

:)

^^ The Sony LCDs have never been good. However when I had gone to see the W220 in a store yesterday... the dealer didn't have a W220 but he showed me the W210 which had a very good screen by Sony standards.

In contrast, I found the Canon Ixus 80 LCD very dull. I don't know whether there was some changes made to default settings but I didn't like the LCD much.

Moreover, when I had tried my friend's Ixus 80 a few days back, I did find that the lens is not wide enough...it could cover only 3 people in a group photo I took whereas my 4 year old Nikon camera could capture 4 people from the same distance.

So I have now virtually ruled out the Ixus 80. I am surprised it is rated so highly on these forums inspite of its 38mm lens which is a deal breaker as far as I am concerned.

The Ixus 85 is too expensive. The Ixus 95 is somewhere in between but still costs Rs.13.5-14k.

I am now also considering the Panasonic Lumix FS3 which is available for Rs.7.5k and is a very capable camera. Its more or less similar to the LZ8 except that it has a 3x optical zoom as against the LZ8's 5x. But it is much smaller & sleeker than the LZ8 and also has Li-on batteries which I prefer.

So at the moment its still Sony W220 for me. I might just consider the Canon Ixus 95.

And if I decide to go in the cost cutting mode, I might choose the Panasonic FS3.

Anyone has used the Panasonic FS3. Its specs are very impressive for a Rs.7.5k phone but haven't seen many people mention it. Most people just mention the LZ8.

Also the Panasonic Lumix FX36 with a 25mm lens & 1280X720 @30fps recording looks impressive for Rs.13k. Any firsthand reviews on this model ?

Back