PC Peripherals Canon PIXMA MP180 Printer cartridge

src2206

Adept
Hello friends

I have a Canon PIXMA MP180 printer and I am out of the color ink. Please advise me on the following:

1. Can I refill the color and B/W cartridge? If yes, which refilling service should I opt for?

2. Is there any third party cartridge available?

3. I have seen that whenever I turn on the printer, the printer cleans the cartridge and that depletes the ink pretty fast. Is it possible to turn off this automatic cleaning service (which serves canon more than it does me, the consumer)?

4. As I frequently use the scanner, is it possible to remove the cartridges from the printer and use the scanner service only? That would surely save the ink.

5. This is little off topic, still, which photo paper should be good enough to print digital files of 300ppi resolution with the above mentioned printer?

Basically, original Canon cartridges are very costly, so a third party or refill option is really very tempting for being cost effective.

Thank you all.

src2206 said:
Hello friends

I have a Canon PIXMA MP180 printer and I am out of the color ink. Please advise me on the following:

1. Can I refill the color and B/W cartridge? If yes, which refilling service should I opt for?

2. Is there any third party cartridge available?

3. I have seen that whenever I turn on the printer, the printer cleans the cartridge and that depletes the ink pretty fast. Is it possible to turn off this automatic cleaning service (which serves canon more than it does me, the consumer)?

4. As I frequently use the scanner, is it possible to remove the cartridges from the printer and use the scanner service only? That would surely save the ink.

5. This is little off topic, still, which photo paper should be good enough to print digital files of 300ppi resolution with the above mentioned printer?

Basically, original Canon cartridges are very costly, so a third party or refill option is really very tempting for being cost effective.

Thank you all.
Here are the answers in the same order --

1) Refilling can be done using any-kit but the problem in this is that there is a definite drop in quality. That's why recommended you go for a new cartridge, if you only print black-white then refill is a viable option otherwise no go as in color pictures, quality will degrade.

2) Not to my knowledge, but several third-part refill services are available for a flavor of prices, raging from -- 50/- TO -650/-.

3) The initial action is to prevent dust bunnies to form on print ribbon as a jammed ribbon OR dirty ribbon will directly translate to bad picture quality as well as smudgy / hazy print-outs.

4) The inks are formulated in such a manner that the ink doesn't dry within the tank so forget losing ink lying unused for prolonged times, until you live in extreme temperature / humidity / pressure environment.

5) If you want good quality color prints higher GSM* paper / photo grade paper (this is just a hunch not confirmed). *Paper density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the short term the third party refill options are more tempting than original cartridges but in the long term original cartridges make their own mark -- Quality is always preserved.

Hope this help.

My apologies for resurrecting this old thread and forgetting to update it...

I got the cartridge refilled by acompany named "Re Fill"....it is working perfectly, they have a free pick up and delivary service and the cost is also far less than the original cartridge....

Back