Can't uninstall IE7 - start menu gone

Booeroz

Disciple
Since I installed IE7 yesterday, I no longer have my desktop icons or my start menu or task bar.
I have to open all programmes through task manager.

I need to unistall to get back to IE6 but I can't find my programme manager to remove IE7, I can't even find IE7 on my programmes - can anyone help?

Thanks

I should also mention my other problem, windows keeps crashing, the error report says that I should install the Windows XP service pack 2.
Just want to make sure that this is not the problem with my dissapearing desktop and start menu before I try to uninstall IE7.
Which should I do first?

If the system was perfectly stable before installing IE7 then first uninstall..or else do a sys. restore...!

To get back the taskbar..icons and stuff try this:

Ctrl+Alt+Del-->(Taskmanager opens up)-->Goto file-->New Task-->explorer.exe

This will bring back the desktop...but it may crash i.e. may disappear again..If this happens then the explorer file is corrupt and needs to be rectified!

Rectification of explorer.exe:

1. Repair your Windows installation

then-->2. Install SP2

If you find out that explorer is indeed corrupt then uninstall IE7 first!

Booeroz said:
I should also mention my other problem, windows keeps crashing, the error report says that I should install the Windows XP service pack 2.

Just want to make sure that this is not the problem with my dissapearing desktop and start menu before I try to uninstall IE7.

Which should I do first?

Was the system stable before you installed IE7 ? If it was, then run a system restore to say 3-4 days back. After that, run a spyware scan and make sure your drivers are up to date. Then install SP2.

Also keep in mind that if you have an OEM Computer like HP/Dell etc. then there are some specific updates that need to be installed before SP2 is installed, else some programs may not function properly. Look for these updates on your system manufacturer's website.

hmmm, I had a blue screen of death before installing IE7, but that seemed to fix after a restart. Some increased frequency in various programmes not responding.

explorer.exe can not be found in task manager. Any other ways to access system restore function or programme manager?

Restart ur system, keep tapping the f8 key. You will c the windows advanced options menu, choose Safe mode. If ur system is still freezing in safe mode, then choose safe mode with command prompt. In command prompt navigate to

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Voila! System restore is waiting for you to choose a restore point :)

Nothing! Tried Safe Mode - freeze, Safe + Command - not recognised. Last known good config - windows crashed again, and IE7 still there. :0( wot now?

PS - Thanks for the tapping tip on F8 key, I usually miss it.

Booeroz said:
Safe + Command - not recognised.
Umm not recognised ? Did u get to the command prompt OK ?Are you sure u got the correct path ?
Probably stupid question, but I hope u double checked the folder navigation in DOS. write it down and try again :)

I dont know..........i SEEM 2 PERFECTLY return 2 IE6 with SYSTEM RESTORE

Atleast system stable & can run IE6 Normally with all features/conditions ON!

Back