Car & Bike Car insurance question.

ontherocks

Disciple
I understand that if you claim insurance in an year, you would forfeit "No Claims Bonus (NCB)" in the next year. Other than that nothing changes.

What would happen if you claim insurance multiple times a year?

AFAIK you can claim multiple times in a year. Once you make a single claim, you lose the NCB for the next year. However these days I see insurance companies seek a processing fee (around 1K) for each claim. So it is advisable to claim things in one go if possible to save on the processing fee.

Annual insurance premium is based on the IDV of the vehicle. Not on anything else. I guess the premium amount is generally 1.9% of IDV + taxes and other things.

vpraveenis said:
So it is advisable to claim things in one go if possible to save on the processing fee.

I have also come to know that in a single claim they would carry out the repairs due to a single mishap.

For example, say you have two dents due to two different mishaps, and they cannot be made to relate to each other in any way, they say to file two claims.

^^^ +1 Two different incidents call for two different claims and processing fees..
If there are multiple claims reported in a year, on renewal the insurer might increase the premium.

But you can always shift to a new insurer and get a quote at normal rates, as the data is rarely centralized.

ontherocks said:
I understand that if you claim insurance in an year, you would forfeit "No Claims Bonus (NCB)" in the next year. Other than that nothing changes.
What would happen if you claim insurance multiple times a year?

I have done that, and didn't notice any 'increase' in premium. I didn't get the NCB, but I am fine with that.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ontherocks said:
I have also come to know that in a single claim they would carry out the repairs due to a single mishap.
For example, say you have two dents due to two different mishaps, and they cannot be made to relate to each other in any way, they say to file two claims.

That's right. I therefore plan it out well ;)

Just today. I gave my car for claim :D yes you will not get NCB and they insist not to club many damages in one coz it become difficult for them to justify with a story :D and of course processing fee is also involved. So plan it out :)

agantuk said:
I got all the scratches on my car done in different visits to the workshop. Never realised insurance could be used this way :D

This is excellent news. I was hoping that this could be done.

Tech33 said:
Just today. I gave my car for claim :D yes you will not get NCB and they insist not to club many damages in one coz it become difficult for them to justify with a story :D and of course processing fee is also involved. So plan it out :)

What documents did the workshop guys ask for?

Insurance papers........obviously

License of the person driving at the time of instance or license of the registered owner or both or none?

Which insurance do you guys have........Maruti tie ups?

I always Preferred TATA AIG comprehensive insurance, no headache, Agree a 1.5 K higher premium but Zero Depreciation and also 100% claim on plastic and glass is provided.

ontherocks said:
This is excellent news. I was hoping that this could be done.

License of the person driving at the time of instance or license of the registered owner or both or none?

Which insurance do you guys have........Maruti tie ups?

Just ensure that you have a 'new' scratch on the side you want to get repaired. Let's say your left and back are messed up. Get the left done. Then wait for (or if you are the impatient types, make) a new scratch on the back and make another visit :D

I have Bajaj. Amazing experience. I was sceptical when I took it, but after two claims I bought them back again :D

Ok one more.

Does the damage need to be fresh, to claim it. I mean, could you claim a one year old scratch/dent? (I am not sure if they can figure out correctly how old it is)

^ Like I said, it HAS to have atleast one fresh scratch. Let's say your left doors are screwed up and your right doors are screwed up. When you give for insurance the first time, claim for lets say the left doors. Next time you give the right side for insurance, ensure it has atleast ONE new damage from the last time. Claim only for that new scratch. As the job demands, most - if not all - dealers will say they need to change / paint the whole thing. Remember that this is because everytime you file a claim, pictures of the state of the car are taken.

Back