Disciple
I recently built a RIG with the following configuration:

- ABIT IP35-E
- Intel E8400 @ 3.0 GHz
- EVGA 8800GT KO 512MB DDR3
- Transcend 1x2GB 800MHz RAM
- Corsair VX450 - 450W PSU
- ASUS DVD Writer - SATA Drive
- Sony CD-RW - IDE Drive (inherited from my old PC)
- Coolermaster 330 Elite Cabinet - has a 120mm fan in the rear
- Seagate 500GB 7200.11 (32MB cache)
- Seagate 80GB IDE 5400 (inherited from my old PC)

I have WinXP Professional running on it. I've been monitoring the temperatures of the GPU and the CPU. The 8800GT idles at around 68C and when I load the system with some game (like HalfLife2) the GPU heats upto 77~80C. However the fan speed on the GPU doesn't seem to increase at these speeds and stays at 25%. If I bump up the fan speed to 50% then the idle temperature drops to around 60C.

The CPU temperature is around 49C (as reported by the BIOS) - is this normal? However the application (PC Wizard on Guru3d) shows the core temperatures as Core0 - 35C and Core1 - 33C. Is this normal?

[1] Is it normal for the 8800GT to heat up like this?

[2] What can I do to decrease the temperature of the GPU?

[3] Should I add more fans to the system? There is one more slot in the front of the cabinet that can hold a 120mm fan. Will it help if I add this fan? Should this be an exhaust fan or a intake fan?

It would be great if someone can help me out on this.

best regards
- Anand

decrease the gpu temp by increasing the fan speed.its the simplest way as the single slot cooler on the 8800gt struggles to keep the heat at bay

as for the cpu, use realtemp to monitor the temperature, its the most accurate

ideally, the cabinet should have 1 front INTAKE and rear EXHAUST

and the cabinet will come with fans that hardly move air...so you may replace the exhaust one as well with a better fan which has higher airflow

use rivatuner make the default/idle speed of the fan 55% or more depending on how audible the fan becomes....for my 9600gt i keep it at 55% hence i dont "hear" the fan...while gaming i bump it up to 100%

tho my card idles at 39 and maxes at 52 :D:D:D hihi

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'll keep the fan speed at 50% at boot time!

_pappu_ said:
ideally, the cabinet should have 1 front INTAKE and rear EXHAUST and the cabinet will come with fans that hardly move air...so you may replace the exhaust one as well with a better fan which has higher airflow

Can you recommend a good fan for this purpose? I live in Chennai!

saumik_ said:
use rivatuner make the default/idle speed of the fan 55% or more depending on how audible the fan becomes....for my 9600gt i keep it at 55% hence i dont "hear" the fan...while gaming i bump it up to 100%
tho my card idles at 39 and maxes at 52 :D:D:D hihi

How do u manage to do that? Do you have a lot of fans in your system?:huh:

tellanand said:
How do u manage to do that? Do you have a lot of fans in your system?:huh:

its the card itself, the 9600gt...it dosent get too hot anyways...+ it comes with a good dual slot cooler ... hence the good temps :p
i hav jus 2 side intake fans ....and 1 120mm fan in the front

I bought 2 CM system fans and installed them on the cabinet - one for exhaust and one for intake. Plus, I set the GPU fan speed to 50%.

NOw the 8800GT speed remains at 55C at idle and goes up to 70~75 when I play Crysis!! :hap2:

However I find that the E8400 CPU's core temperature hovers between 50 ~ 60 all the time. I know this is not good. I'm not OC'ing. Is this normal for this CPU?

I'm also going to do some MOD and install another fan that I got on the side of the cabinet. Should this be intake or exhaust? Please advise!!

regards
- Anand

1. Please check mobo BIOS to make sure Intel speedstep is enabled. It automatically downclocks your PC when idle and brings it up to full speed instantly when required, hence lowering temps as well :) I think it might be disabled.

2. Anything upto 60 is ok for a proccy. Above 60 is when you should be worried ;)

But idle temps should be lower.

yea ur idle temps are high prolly cuz speedstep isnt enabled.

side panel fans should be generaly be intake....u can hav a 120mm exhaust fan at the rear

I tell u to max ur fan and see the result and also see ur ears being pwned,

but

thats nothing my 7100 GS goes above 100 degrees (no joke) as it it without a fan

Thank you everyone for your comments. I checked my BIOS setting and the Intel Speedstep is enabled by default (its set to AUTO).

I don't know what else I could do to control the temperature of the proccy!! I'm worried!! :-(

Back