Career Decision for Networking

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
Need your help again people.This a really critical one though.So people who are into this field,I would appreciate a reply from them.Other views welcome too if they are relevant.It's regadring the course that I am planning to take up in Networking field.I am a very much interested in taking up a full fleged networking course.Can I have some recommendations from people who have entered this field as to which institutes should I prefer for taking up this course? One of my friend has suggested a govt. recognised institute called ACIT which offers CCNA,CCNP & CCIE courses.I visited their website & the coure module for CCNA seems to be only 18 hours in total.Isn't that a bit short or is it? Can someone please guide me on this one? Also how is Jetking or CMS?

Graduation in CS/IT would help but who the hell want to waste 4 years to learn networking(i have done my graduation and it was a waste of time, would have learned in a year what they have taught me in 4 ). I would suggest that you read a book by Tanenbaum, its on Networking before you go in for any course. Because CCNA and all courses presume that you have basic knowledge of all this ( they do cover these topics but in a jiffy).

I would suggest that before going for such a course you get your basics right :)

^Thanks for the heads up mate.Yes that is what was mentioned on ACIT's site as well.They mentioned "Candidates must be very familiar with TCP/IP, IP configuration, subnetting and network protocols, standards, and architecture." :S

Is this self learning thing? I mean isn't there an institute which would cover up these topics too before preparing up for CCNA course pattern? I have got a lot of Ebooks on CCNA by Oreilly.But they seem too jargonised.Are there simpler ones that I can find? I'll try & get hold of Tanenbaum.Thanks for your suggestion.

I would suggest that before going for such a course you get your basics right
Anything in specific that it demands?

ultra vires said:
Graduation in CS/IT would help but who the hell want to waste 4 years to learn networking(i have done my graduation and it was a waste of time, would have learned in a year what they have taught me in 4 ). I would suggest that you read a book by Tanenbaum, its on Networking before you go in for any course. Because CCNA and all courses presume that you have basic knowledge of all this ( they do cover these topics but in a jiffy).

I would suggest that before going for such a course you get your basics right :)

That would only be true if the only thing you want to do is networking. But BE is NOT for making you profeciant in one area.

Also, I agree that you first read Computer Networks by Andrew S. Tennenbaum. an awesome book (in fact, I read it 4-5 times in 1 semester!)

was working in networking field when I started my career had to switch as the kind of job i did was not my cup of tea...its very interesting and challenging though...

There are various path which you can take in networking......

CCNA, CCNP n all is not the only thing in n/w field....they have been made popular only due to cisco's agg marketing.....

you have variety of options like network testing field, RnD, services, ISP....

choose your path wisely and not based on what ppl say..i.e do your homework first

There are other vendors also like Juniper whose products hardware wise is way superior compared to cisco ones...but you will hardly find their name in india, very few companies use here..like reliance...

Sadly the networking field for freshers is pathetic in india compared to other domain...in simple words not much money n slow growth...if you can pass this phase you will be floating in a great company with insane packages...given you are strong with the basics....

Better to start studying on your own...for CCNA grab the book by Todd Lammle...its got enough to give you a great start in CCNA....you should be clear of one thing....be strong in the basics n understand the concepts...getting good scores is easy with the variety of question dumps available by testking, jetking n all....

there are plenty of CBTs floating in net which is also good enough...I remember using Learnkeys CCNA CBT and then reading Todd Lammle...both were good in giving the basics n starting foundation

Thank you for your comments.Appreciate it.Infact I have to do a lot of homework before I take a plunge I guess.You are absolutely right when you say that CCNA & CCNP is made popular only because of CISCO's high deal of promotion to it.But let's not detest the fact that it is afterall one of the best router manufacturers.I am not looking out for an extremely huge package but something which offers great variety & has a lot of innovation going on constantly.I guess I'll have to start studying on it right now.Guess wil have to pick up what you guys suggested & hopefully clear out my basics.It would have been really good if the structre is put forward in a very simple way in the book.What's does a CCNA certification equate into? I mean how much weightage does it have during a job interview?

Yup agree with archish. Start with Todd Lammle Book. been into networking for almost 5 years now. Its a vast field. I did pass my CCNA at 17.

here is the site for your basic networking needs.

Firewall.cx - The World's First Free Cisco Lab!

Do participate in cisco networking forums. You will learn lots of new scenario and setup from it.

I have seen lots of people who has got 990/1000 in ccna test.but when it comes to basic subnetting and router commands they just don't know a jack about it. even myself got only 875/1000.(850 to pass the test).

Read Cisco Press CCNA Practical Studies.it will help you a lot.

One last thing never ever rely on Dumps.They will never gonna help you in real scenario.

All the best!

^Now that's what I am talking about.Thanks buddy.Keep those handy tips coming in.Would be needing it.:hap2:

EDIT: A big thanks to Cisco for the Firewall.cx site.It's awesome.Had pretty much everything in detail with simple explanations too.

First read the ccna book by todd lamle.

If you just do ccna, most probably you will get a job as a sys admin. After ccna you will have to decide which path you want to select, there are many like security, design etc .

See if you can get boson netsim. Its the best router simulator out there.

^Sure will do so.Is Todd Lammle's language simplistic? I was just going through the articles mentioned on the Firewall.cx site & the people out there have posted relevant examples thus making it very easy to understand.I'll try & clear out as much knowledge as I can from there.;)

Also which institute in Mumbai would be preferred? Also are these boot camp things worth it? Just 18 hours for teaching CCNA,is it enough? :S

Their homepage doesn't load up for some reason.I think their site is under construction.Are they reputed? Any experiences? Repped you BTW.:)

I think they are redesigning the site. layout was different when i checked it last time. one of my friend has done his NA,NP from routermania and his experience was good.

Back