Career in Management Consultancy... Please help

Hi guys,

I am currently working in TCS as a developer for the past three years. I am now planning to switch lines.While i did my research on the paths which i would like to work, I found management consulting very interesting .I need info as to how i can move in Management consulting with my 3 years of IT experience.

Should i do a certification to get into Management Consultant role ?
Management consultants please help me out.
Regards,
doubleseven

Doubleseven said:
Hi guys,

I am currently working in TCS as a developer for the past three years. I am now planning to switch lines.While i did my research on the paths which i would like to work, I found management consulting very interesting .I need info as to how i can move in Management consulting with my 3 years of IT experience.

Should i do a certification to get into Management Consultant role ?

Management consultants please help me out.

Regards,

doubleseven
You will need a sharp analytical mind and an MBA if you are looking for a direct entry with that work-ex.

Alternative may be to work as an analyst in one of these firms and rise up with experience.

MBA from a tier 1 institute + a lot (and i mean a LOT of multi domain knowledge - so that you get a stranglehold somewhere) + a flair for pfaffing.

the path you're contemplating will get you to systems consulting at the max

greenhorn said:
MBA from a tier 1 institute + a lot (and i mean a LOT of multi domain knowledge - so that you get a stranglehold somewhere) + a flair for pfaffing.

the path you're contemplating will get you to systems consulting at the max
Bang on greenie! both on the MBA and the faffing part :eek:hyeah:

And yes, you can get into technology consulting (SAP/Deloitte/CapGemini) etc without the MBA.

techie_007 said:
Bang on greenie! both on the MBA and the faffing part :eek:hyeah:

And yes, you can get into technology consulting (SAP/Deloitte/CapGemini) etc without the MBA.

Can u please let me know more abt this ?
What exactly is technology consulting ?
How can i get into it from my experience ?

Regards,
doubleseven

Technology consulting would mean domain consulting as in functional consulting, right?
And AFAIK, an MBA is normally required for domain/functional consulting.
But Management consulting is different from domain/tech consulting, right or wrong? :ashamed:

You are, say Tata Motors, and your Nano is not selling well enough. clearly you have a problem, or things could be better. so there is something wrong with your business. So you go and ask a Management consultancy. They will tell you whats wrong on the strategic, tactical and operational level with qualified data and analyses. Probably that QC is not good enough, delivery processes are not sufficient, CRM needs to be focussed, Financing options need to be increased to serve the risk profile of the average nano is similar to that of a two wheeler buyer, not a four wheeler, that their current pricing models need to be changed to include and compensate for long term costs as well. Note that Tata engaged Accenture for this, despite Tata 'Consultancy' Services - because Accenture/Deloitte etc have Management consulting as their core competency and TCS/Infy are Techology consultants . Now that the solutions are known, for the systems work, say the CRM , and their promotion management and analytics, buyer profiling etc would need some sort of technology support. This is where Technology consulting comes in, They'd be the guys who say whether your buy SAP or Siebel, or not go the ERP way at all and choose a set of specialized packages - this is systems/Technology consulting. Both these disciplines encroach on each other's turf to some extent (this is a very exxagerated example. Management consulting isnt always as glamorous as strategy, and Tech consulting isnt always such low level decisions. but this is the basic difference

Am more interested in Management Consulting rather than Tech Consulting. The startegy and analysis kind of stuff interests me a lot.
When it comes to management consulting, how can i get into it with the help of an IT experience ?
Is there any certification kind of stuff that will be needed to get into the role of management consultany ?

Regards,
doubleseven

Doubleseven said:
Am more interested in Management Consulting rather than Tech Consulting. The startegy and analysis kind of stuff interests me a lot.
When it comes to management consulting, how can i get into it with the help of an IT experience ?
Is there any certification kind of stuff that will be needed to get into the role of management consultany ?

Regards,
doubleseven

Well, no direct certifications as such, other than an MBA from a good institute. No other options to get into management consulting directly. I am of course talking about the McKinsey/BCG/Bain etc, the top consulting firms. Even Accenture/Deloitte wont hire management consultants without an MBA or extensivve management experience.

Cant expect IT experience to help you directly tell other companies how to manage themselves, right?

PS: Greenie, you seem to be getting pretty good at the holistic and strategic approaches to management :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Darthcoder said:
Technology consulting would mean domain consulting as in functional consulting, right?
And AFAIK, an MBA is normally required for domain/functional consulting.
But Management consulting is different from domain/tech consulting, right or wrong? :ashamed:
Also, @Darth:
You can get into tech consulting without an MBA as well, but then you are looking at around 5 years or more of good IT exprience in a domain at least.
Management consulting will be different.

@techie_007:

Lets keep aside management consultant for a while.

Heard that the role "Research analyst" will pave way for management consultant down the line. Is it so ?

Also heard that we can get a role of Research analyst using IT experience.

Please give me idea about Research analyst and its scope down the line.

Regards,

doubleseven

Doubleseven said:
@techie_007:

Lets keep aside management consultant for a while.
Heard that the role "Research analyst" will pave way for management consultant down the line. Is it so ?
Also heard that we can get a role of Research analyst using IT experience.
Please give me idea about Research analyst and its scope down the line.

Regards,
doubleseven
refer to my first email up there - you can get in as an analyst and if you are good enough, you will rise up with experience. Will take some time though. An MBA will be faster if you can get into a really good coll.

techie_007 said:
refer to my first email up there - you can get in as an analyst and if you are good enough, you will rise up with experience. Will take some time though. An MBA will be faster if you can get into a really good coll.
As you say, Let me know the analyst roles which will eventually lead me to as an Management Consultant down the line.
Are there different Analyst roles available or is it a single point of entry as in the case of "Research Analyst" ?
What are companies that offer such kind of roles for my type of Profile ?

Thanks in advance,
doubleseven

dude , for the last time, there are no established streams where you will end up as a Consultant. Its like asking which stream should i try to get into to become CEO of a company :p

We have already mentioned how in the earlier posts. Read and Understand , or I'll have to mock you a third time :p

A bit OT but... considering that the OP's question has been pretty much answered[?]

I never got the whole deal with MBA's was anyway apart from the nifty bump in salary. All the management related courses/seminars I've taken sounded like total bull to me, though that might be because I don't have any aptitude for managing people.

I guess greenhorn made that nano post partly in jest[?] but even then I can't make heads or tails of it.

IMHO an MBA , especially at current rates is overrated for folks with decent workex. you should be able to learn the stuff by yourself. The value comes from the brand name of the institute, insights from the faculty, all these talks, sessions and extra curricular stuff, the chance to network with some big folks etc and being able to work with a bunch of mostly talented peers.

but its kinda getting harder to justify the salaries given the excess supply of MBA's from even the top b schools, and what they bring to the table except their KSA's , which you could get from a decent engg college anyway :p

PS: the nano post was semi serious, pardon the bad punctuation. You dont get much time to beautify your posts :ashamed

ok... let me try and ask my question a bit differently...

The way I see it, the essence of civil/mech engineering is understanding stresses and strains. I did a product design course and its essence was to try and properly understand a problem without thinking of a solution beforehand.

Similarly, I was wondering what is the basic teaching of an MBA.

I've worked as a site engineer(civil) for a couple of years and a big part of the job was to try an manage the use of labor and materials at least expense.

So, if I got an MBA would/how will it help me in doing something like that?

greenhorn said:
dude , for the last time, there are no established streams where you will end up as a Consultant. Its like asking which stream should i try to get into to become CEO of a company :p

We have already mentioned how in the earlier posts. Read and Understand , or I'll have to mock you a third time :p
For your kind information, there are certain roles which will catalyze your role towards being a CEO.
So my question was in related to that.

IMO if you aren't from IIT/Top 20 Colleges in the world(not top 20 in india), then you should go for a MBA from the best college which you can get yourself admission to.

If you can't make it to the IIMs, then go for a good college abroad.

An average MBA from the top 50-100 colleges in the world, with no work experience and regardless of his bachelors, should easily make a CTC of 12-18L or higher as a starter.

And within 5-10 years, you can expect the package to be 2-3 times approx even if you climb up at an average rate.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And I don't recommend an MBA because one need's it. Perhaps many people don't, but that is the only sure shot method to get a super quick and consistent rise in your package and make you future proof.

For your kind information, there are certain roles which will catalyze your role towards being a CEO.

pardon my ignorance, but what role can a few years IT workex dude such as myself get to fasttrack myself into a CEO role :ashamed: ( other than founding my own startup etc)

Back