PC Peripherals CARPC - My New Project

Thanx shldn for all the info..Not only does this setup looks cool..It surely is quite future-proof..
Am finding it very difficult to control myself from taking the plunge! ;)

@ thixkull, yes you can use your athlon 2000 setup, just check the power consumption on the 12 volt rail and see that the psu can supply that current. btwn the mp3car.com forum's are a very good resource. here's a related link for your query from the faq section, FAQ: Will <insert PSU model> Power Supply work with my system? - MP3Car.com Forums

as for the dc-dc psu, there are 3 input wires viz +ve & -ve which is wired straight to the car battery & ignition/accessory which is wired to any switched ignition power source such as your cigarette lighter socket. there's a few seconds startup delay on ignition turn on to allow for cranking your engine & a fixed/adjustable delay (depending on psu) when you turn off ignition after which a shutdown pulse is sent to the mobo & the shutdown sequence is initiated. your pc will go into shutdown/standby/hibernate automatically depending on what options you've set in the power management options on your pc. the 150w dc-dc psu at iRide should be adequate for your setup. use a power calculator to be certain.

you could also go for the DIY route for the dc-dc psu. here's a link to the schematics (MK-4.5) & here's the discussion thread

you can skip the touchscreen, you'll still need something like a trackball, a powermate or some kind of input device. a normal keyboard and mouse will simply be too unweildly. however make sure that your lcd has vga input with at least 800x600/480 native resolution, here's the 7" touchscreen lcd i'm using

^ Nice info there! :)

However for the Athlon XP's, you need to watch the power consumption on the +5V rail, since they draw their power off that rail .

Back