Disciple
Source: Rage3D

Highlights of the Catalyst 8.9 Windows release include:

New Features

* Catalyst Control Center: New Display mode support
* Overdrive support for QUAD CrossFireX configurations
* OpenGL™ 3.0 support – Phase 1
Resolved Issue highlights

* Company of Heroes: Setting the in-game options to maximum levels no longer results in the game exiting to the desktop after the game has completed loading.
* DiRT: Setting shadows to ultra quadCF no longer results in a performance drop being noticed.
* Assassins Creed: Brightness and saturation distortion is no longer observed during game play with ForceAA enabled.
* Grid: Enabling CrossFire and starting a new game no longer results in flickering bands being noticed across the display device.
* Jericho: Corruption is no longer noticed when AA is enabled and the in-game option Advanced Smoothing is enabled.
* Age of Conan: Playing the game for a short period of time no longer results in flickering corruption being noticed.

Catalyst 8.9 Download: Click Here

Full Release Notes: Click Here (pdf)

There are reports of performance increase in Crysis. I get a 3 fps increase in the gpu benchmark with my lame config. There could be significant fps gains for some members here.

Thanks for Headsup!!

I had just checked the driver page in the morning today.. just to find same ol' 8.8. :p

Hopefully, the bugs I faced with 8.8 are gone.

@Sidhu_21: Actually speaking... Ever after Cat8.6, I'm noticing constant performance drop in 3DMark 06 with my HD3870. But, in actual games I haven't noticed much. Maybe couple FPS might be down, but it's not noticable.

As for Cat8.9, the performance seem to be tiny winy up from Cat8.8. For the record, I was getting 11219 3DMarks in 8.6, which kept dropping few points with each next release (frankly it's quite negligible). Cat8.8 gave me 11048 3DMarks, now Cat8.9 it's again up with 11132. Also Cat8.8 gave little problem with few crashes (game crashes, not overall system crash), and video glitch while playing Quicktime H.264 content. Cat8.9 seem to have cleared those out. Everything is fine now.

So to sum it up, I think Cat8.9 is improvement over Cat8.8. No probs getting it.

Back