CBSE or ICSE Board....Confused.

raksrules

Elite
So my son is close to 4 years old and next year we are heading back to India. We need to start looking for a school for him near my home in Mumbai. We are confused between CSBE and ICSE boards. I have never studied in either (Mine was SSC).

Can anyone give me pointers suggesting how to select a board and know what to expect in each.
We will put our kid mostly in Jr KG (even if he would be eligible for Sr Kg) as he has till now gone to school in US and that’s as good as nothing here currently.

ICSE would be better as it is significantly more like the courses taught outside of India. After studying in both CBSE and ICSE schools, i would suggest that atleast till the middle school, ICSE does provide a more complete education with better logic development and especially english/third language training.

Though if the CBSE school itself is better than the ICSE school near your home then that should be your first criteria.

raks , just go for school closest to home , cbse or icse will all come down to whos teaching , what school and what amenities , now that cbse syllabus is going to come down , so its all going to be same in the end

ICSE is more strict, CBSE is more common and he will be able to connect with most students throughout India with CBSE, I would say go for CBSE, and yes a good school is important.

PS: I studied from CBSE, in my time ICSE was very uncommon, their students had lower percentages and were in minority.

I totally understand School is important. We are definitely looking into those. We are also getting more inclined towards CBSE and we are drilling down on various options available.

I totally understand School is important. We are definitely looking into those. We are also getting more inclined towards CBSE and we are drilling down on various options available.
I am a product of Navodaya Vidyalaya, CBSE syllabus schooling. but we were always at a disadvantage at math when compared to state syllabus. but when it came to biology, physics and chemistry. we were light years ahead. but now, I am a computer engineer. none of that matters. :(

My opinion is that you should look for a schooling systems which enables overall development rather than just studies. has a minimum of 3 acre campus. facilities like good labs, qualified teachers etc... There are so many schools in hyderabad that are made out of two story apartment complexes. They should be banned.

I am a product of Navodaya Vidyalaya, CBSE syllabus schooling. but we were always at a disadvantage at math when compared to state syllabus. but when it came to biology, physics and chemistry. we were light years ahead. but now, I am a computer engineer. none of that matters. :(

My opinion is that you should look for a schooling systems which enables overall development rather than just studies. has a minimum of 3 acre campus. facilities like good labs, qualified teachers etc... There are so many schools in hyderabad that are made out of two story apartment complexes. They should be banned.
Absolutely!! schooling in India is more shit than hit. Better opt for a school which supports extra curricular activities like Sports, Arts or anything that opens up your kids creativity. Sadly not many schools does that, all they think about is more homework, extra classes, weekend classes, IIT trainings and Final exam %s etc.. :(

I think the CBSE is always better. ICSE just puts enough strain on the student which they will learn anyways in future if they are going to science stream. Just let the kid learn at their own pace and let their conscience and zeal guide them.

If you look at where most of us are - lot struggled and dedicated their school time s for IIT, then MBA and finally take up some fortune 500 company where they are consultants giving consultation for the products or services that they themselves have not used. Whereas there are kids who concentrated on maths and science, did a decent engineering is a good indian collegge and then proceeded to take up PhD research at MIT or known US university - some of the folks i know make more money in a single visit of a lecture than most of these IIT grads make in a month ( at least they could have njoyed their college life ;-) )

So in the end you life is like a new river, it never knows where it should go, but as the flow of information come, it is your own skills which will carve out a new path. So just get them a good school with CBSE, they will find their way!

Back