CCIE LAB Routers from EBAY GlobalEasyBuy

Guys I am considering ordering CCIE lab routers (6 routers and 4 switches) from Ebay Globaly Easybuy for 47k. I want to know how safe it is? I am a lil hesitant that there would be no surprises at Indian customs and no other charges over and above whats mentioned at the Ebay price. I would have been ok if it was an electronic item, but since these are routers I want to make sure there are no special import policies for these, encryption, etc etc. So need your inputs if I can safely go ahead and buy the things mentioned.

consider approx 3-5% as freight & insurance cost, and 15.03% as customs on ratable value (1.01 of actual value).

btw why not pay a good institute for 2-3 months of usage of their equipment for 4 hrs a day? might be cheaper, i had done this with karrox for <20k for 3 months of practice, in lieu of which i would take up a topic in some class or the other as required.

^^ I am not sure I quite understand about customs....

1. My understanding was Ebay globaleasybuy includes custom costs? Is this not true?

2. When you say there would be 15% duty on ratable charge, what is that. The price on Ebay US is 500 dollars, price on Ebay Globaleasybuy is 50k Rs so its almost twice as much... Do you mean to say I need to pay additional 15% duty on the 500 dollars? or on 50k? or 15% of the Indian value of the goods, in that case being 4 lakhs so 15% of 4 lakhs?

I am lost.. I want to build my lab.... I dont have time to goto insitituions... job from 11 pm to 12 midnight.... so everything needs to happen at home...

Ebay US is the cheapest way to get the routers. back in 2005 I have bought 2612 for 51$. it was that cheap. and some 3600 series for 100-120 $. but i shipped them to my relatives' addresses(US). and they brought down here 1 by 1.

See there is a custom duty on routers AFAIK it is 14% in 2007. Dont know the current scenario. But I had to pay custom duty for 1 router as my Uncle brought 3 Routers together. they allowed only 2 Routers per person.

Otherwise Axeman's suggestion is also nice. :)

@techcheat,

Why don't you try dynamips/gns3? It can emulate most IOS versions. There are many CCIE level lab topologies available for it too. There are many many CCIE's out there who have relied heavily on it to pass.

If you still need more hands on, you can always rent rack time. Check out CCIE Rack Rentals - Powered by GradedLabs They have some excellent packages. Much cheaper than buying the equipment.

I dunno about global ebay but i know about customs. if they have NOT included customs duty then:

assuming value of your items is 47000, customs is applicable on 47000 * 1.01 i.e. 47470 as 15.03% i.e. 47470 *0.1503 = 7135 rs, so total could come to 47000 + 7135 = 54135. where did u get 4 lacs from?

best to ask global ebay directly if they include all charges, insurance, taxes, duties in their price. also, if they give you a bill, check if you need to pay addl 5% VAT, or the same is included. if not vat would be 5% of the bill value. (0.05)

techcheat said:
^^ I am not sure I quite understand about customs....

1. My understanding was Ebay globaleasybuy includes custom costs? Is this not true?

2. When you say there would be 15% duty on ratable charge, what is that. The price on Ebay US is 500 dollars, price on Ebay Globaleasybuy is 50k Rs so its almost twice as much... Do you mean to say I need to pay additional 15% duty on the 500 dollars? or on 50k? or 15% of the Indian value of the goods, in that case being 4 lakhs so 15% of 4 lakhs?

I am lost.. I want to build my lab.... I dont have time to goto insitituions... job from 11 pm to 12 midnight.... so everything needs to happen at home...

^ Global Easy Buy prices include all custom duties, shipping etc and its the final amount that you have to pay. No additional charges is to paid at delivery time.

I am yet to come across someone who has cleared CCIE with dynamips.... Secondaly for me 50k is not an issue.... So if Globaleasybay price is 50k for 7 routers and 4 switches I am all for it :)

@axeman.. I was saying the following... how is duty calculated, duty charged on ebay us cost that I paid, or duty is calculated on the price of the product in India (4 lakhs) and than we pay the duty based on the goods market value.

techcheat said:
I am yet to come across someone who has cleared CCIE with dynamips.... Secondaly for me 50k is not an issue.... So if Globaleasybay price is 50k for 7 routers and 4 switches I am all for it :)

Read this: Become CCIE with Simulator FAQ | IT Certification Exam study guide

Which CCIE track do you think can be done with emulator only?

For Service Provider track, you can practice almost 100% of the topic. The focus of the lab is on SP infrastructure so personally I don’t think you need to spend much time to practice L2 switch features. For Routing & Switching I think dynamips can still be used to cover almost 90%. Despite it has support Ethernet module but it still can’t be used to test real L2 switch features such as VTP and STP. But all L3 features from 3550/3560 switch can be tested or will have the same behavior just as if we use normal router.

Do you know people who passed using dynamips only?

Yes, I know many people have passed CCIE lab using dynamips/emulator. In fact, for my third lab which is Service Provider track I practiced only using the emulator similar like dynamips.

It depends on which CCIE track you wanna pursue. If it is Service Provider or R&S, it can successfully on just dynamips. For the rest of the stuff, you can rent rack time.

Do also note regarding heat, electricity costs and noise. A rack with 7 routers and 4 switches would be anything but cool. It would provide you good heating for the cool Delhi winters :p. If you're thinking about accessing the lab from work, you would have to keep it running 24x7. Electricity costs would be massive and you would also have to invest in a power sentry and UPS. For the noise read this:

What would I miss from the real lab?

Using real lab we would be able to test all the features required in CCIE lab, real router with real performance, capable to test hardware-dependent features, ability to sell it back when we are done and last but not least, the noise I guess. I used to sleep next to my lab for months so sometime I feel that I can still hear the noise inside my head until now.

Another major pitfall is the IOS support. Since you would be getting slightly older hardware, they would not support the most recent IOS'es with a very high hardware requirement. Think of these things before making your decision.

^^ Bro I dont want an F1 simulator, I want the F1 car, the real deal, test track... no amount of work in wind tunnel would give the teams the readings of track..... I know good drivers can beat bad drivers just by practicing in simulator... but imagine an option of driving in a sim or on the track...

So now the question is not about dynamips, the question is just about the duty and global easy buy. Dont plan to keep the routers and switches on all day. Just when I practice, there is AC in the room. I think I should be good :) Wish me luck with my attempt.

Good luck man! For myself, I have borrowed 2x3550s and 4x2960s for switching. This is hooked with a beefy PC running dynamips on CentOS, which takes of the routing part.

Back