Laptops Change in Tax policies on Laptops!!

hey, heres an article from indiatimes.com, comenting something bout an exemption of 7% customs duty on laptops. Hopefully it will come into effect soon an cause a drop in the prices of the laptops by 5-6% atleast. Lets wait an c..

SC exempts laptops from additional 7 pc customs duty- Hardware-Infotech-The Economic Times

need to buy a laptop, if this comes into effect soon, would be saved the trouble of beggin :)P ) my bro to get it from us..!! :eek:hyeah:

an guy having any idea about the same an possible date of effect to retail prices pour in your views..!!
Cheers !! :hap2:

well it says exemption on d duty on Imported laptops....
but which are the laptops tht are imported? are all laptops sold over here imported by manufacturers? or only a few?

hey did u get any update on this? when would it be effective from ?
im buying a laptop very soon... so im waiting for any news on this....

Guys, I believe it has already been implemented. Check Dell's site, we're now going to pay as much as people in the US and other countries for laptops (maybe even a smidgen lower)! :)

Yea, there is this new option called 'no service tax'. You can save a pretty neat amount on that, but have to wait for 5 more days. I think most peeps can live with that :)

that 0% tax exemption is different.. i have spoken to a dell rep on this..
if u wish to waive off the 4% VAT, then u can hv it shipped via bangalore (from malaysia) .. that way, u save on VAT while still getting a proper bill for ur purchase...
but the thing we're talking about here (7% excise duty cut) is different.. i dont think that has been reflected in the dell prices...

man.. if tat rediff article is true.. tas sad man.. :( lets hope their is some light at ta end of the tunnel.. as ta guy mentioned in the article the industry experts themselves are not clear with the judgement yet.. :)

checksum said:
Yea, there is this new option called 'no service tax'. You can save a pretty neat amount on that, but have to wait for 5 more days. I think most peeps can live with that :)

Why would you pay service tax on a hardware item !?!

..you don't, so what you said does not apply here at all.

Ok guys, I configured multiple systems (Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720) on Dell India, Singapore and US. Guess what? I found no difference in prices. If anything I had the Indian prices coming out a tweeny bit lesser.

Also, if anyone had noticed earlier, HP US laptop prices were a LOT lower than Dell US prices. Again, that advantage has shifted in Dell's favour. I couldn't configure a single HP laptop (at least in the few models that I tried) cheaper than an equivalent Dell specced system.

Tax exemption or not, what really matters is that we're no more going to be paying more for buying systems locally. Agreed we get fewer customization options (not by much, though) but I'd take that trade-off any day in favour of price parity.

Say hello to the good times! Now if only someone would be kind enough to give an 8700M GT... Drooooollllll....

Oh, and yes, you can get 4% VAT (or some tax) exemption from Dell if you pay by credit card. Not sure if its only in Bangalore (don't think that should be the case) or country-wide.

checksum said:

This option has only now been shown on their site, but it has been applicable for a long time. It's not something new. You essentially don't pay for express delivery and get to wait a few days more (not more than 3-5 mostly).

mdudeja said:
Ok guys, I configured multiple systems (Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720) on Dell India, Singapore and US. Guess what? I found no difference in prices. If anything I had the Indian prices coming out a tweeny bit lesser.

Buddy u wanna know y u found dell india and us prices equal?? tat is cause at dell us u have coupons which get u discounts once the item is added to ur cart.. the latest ones being $500 off on inspiron notebooks $1399+.. and hence the price parity shifts back to us.. no way can u bargain this much over here wit ta dell reps.. hehe.. but yeah were slowly but steadily gettin to a much more price parity level..
i wait for the day when electronics would be cheaper in India and China.. an people the rest of the world over would hope to get the deals we get.. :eek:hyeah: :bleh: :eek:hyeah: !!

amityrock said:
Buddy u wanna know y u found dell india and us prices equal?? tat is cause at dell us u have coupons which get u discounts once the item is added to ur cart..

Ummm... actually, you're supposed to add a coupon code by yourself, it doesn't get added automatically. But yeah, you're right. With coupons, US systems might be cheaper. But then what about a system built on the Singapore site? Coupons are only available to US (as far as I am aware). We're still getting an equivalent, if not better deal than those guys. Hey, something's better than nothing, right?:)

Back