Changing mobo, does it require reinstalling OS?

You can continue with the same windows install. Uninstall all existing drivers before installing the drivers for the new motherboard.

^^ya it works,

but when i tried long ago, system automatically shutsdown due to overheat of proccy..

I dont think you can, i upgraded from a M2N68 AM PLUS to 880GM USB3, had to reinstall windows as would keep restarting.

How ever, if you get a mobo with similar chipset, might work.

vivek.krishnan said:
I dont think you can, i upgraded from a M2N68 AM PLUS to 880GM USB3, had to reinstall windows as would keep restarting.

How ever, if you get a mobo with similar chipset, might work.
Thats what I said... Its get overheat and it shutdowns automatically..

One more thing, changing proccy on windows 7 just installs the proccy drivers and works. But changing mobo is bit critical cause of all drivers like audio, video differs each other...

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk

ranjan2001 said:
Thanks guys I am up & running with new power supply Coolermaster GX 450

GX 450W - Cooler Master

The older PSU seems to develop some voltage problem need to look into it later when I am free.

Thank God I didn't had to reinstall thats a nightmare due to lot of customization I have done.

it is recommended that you format your PC.

When the battery is dead pc doesnot "remember the time" so you need to set it again n again.

Install fresh OS when u buy a new mobo or it the system will be unstable.

I had once dual booted Win 7 and Ubuntu. My Mobo was dead so replaced it.I was not able to boot Windows but I could boot Linux.

If u are not a game addict. . .then switch to Linux.

zoheb6007 said:
I had once dual booted Win 7 and Ubuntu. My Mobo was dead so replaced it.I was not able to boot Windows but I could boot Linux.

:/

I recently switched my motherboard, processor and RAM (completely different chipset E8400 -> i2500k, platform P45 -> Z68, DDR2 to DDR3 etc). Windows 7 booted right up. No changes required. Only needed to re-install what motherboard drivers I needed. Anecdotal evidence is so much fun.

Actually Linux is even more Motherboard sensitive.

Although changing motherboard should not cause any problem to you OS installed on your HD.

However, with Linux, each kernel of linux has its own limitations wrt intel chipset for which it works.

e.g: in my case I had 865G chipset. Was running Linux mint 9 / Ubuntu 10.04 fine for almost 2 years.

Motherboard conked off. I got hold of 845G chipset (865 was not available).

Mint doesn't work.

Ubuntu doesn't work.

Surprisingly PCLinuxOS works. So now PCLOS it is on my PC.

Linux (Ubuntu i.e.) and Windows 7 both are pretty hardware tolerant. IMO, it's the BIOS setting like SATA/AHCI/IDE Emulation which can prevent an OS from booting. Also, in case of Linux systems, repairing GRUB can help.

one can survive by using acronis products with "Universal restore".

I imaged my Desktop OS to my laptop using acronis true Image and universal restore. Just make sure you have the drivers with you.

As far as chipsets and CPU are of similar family, it should work, mainly being nvidia, AMD or Intel. Amd chipset to amd chipset should work irrespective of family. Same with nvidia, and although not as good, intel should also work to some extend.

In some cases, the chipset family might be similar but CPU will be AMD instead of AMD, like nvidia 630i/630a chipset. The OS will be optimised to use the CPU's specific instruction sets while installing OS.

The same scenario arises in cases like Vmotion in vmware baremetal virtualization, where CPU instruction sets are the main problem and is clearly defined, but for desktop OSes they aren't clearly documented, but the reason remains same.

Hi,

My suggestion to you would be:

1. Get the motherboard checked if it is anything other then a battery issue.

2. You should re-install the O/S if you by any means are going to change the motherboard.

3. If you have faced over heating, i would advise you to put in good amount of cooling inside your cabinet, you can use cooling fans or you can buy Artic Silver 7 from the market and use that instead of the generic paste that you might be using on the procy.

#ranjan2001 , so mate have you bought any mobo yet, do update your case.

Here many members have provided many answers to your query. Post here your result. It would be very helpful for others with similar query
<

Back