Charged $1 for nothing on iTunes!, possibly fraudulent

So I got my factory unlocked iPhone 3GS (*party tonight at babe da dhaba :p *) today, and registered it to my iTunes account.

Before registering, I had to change the account's country from USA to India. Earlier I used a US credit card, but to register the phone at correct Indian address, for the sake of it, I changed country to India and entered new billing information for a HDFC Credit Card in my name.

A minute later, the first SMS that I received on my iPhone read:
Thank you for using HDFC bank credit card for 48.63 in I-TUNES-USD @ 18-JUL-2009 04:33 PM

The only related thing I found on internet is: Apl.itunes has taken money from my account and I never ordered anything.

Which is mostly about fraudulent charges, but highly relative, since similar amount has been reported by other users too $40-50.

But I rule out the possibility of a fraud in this case, since I never took this card out of home yet, 2 weeks new, nor have I used it more than twice on internet. (Once on eBay india, and once in this iTunes case.)

I don't have a virus, a trojan. Very very unlikely on a Mac.

I called HDFC Chandigarh Helpline, and the rep I got to talk to couldn't entertain me. He asked me to forward a written letter to their Cards Division Manager to cancel the transaction.

Apple also does some kind of card verification, wherein they make a payment ~$2 which is on "hold" and automatically reverted. Just like PayPal does. But I only got charged for $48.63, no other amount. Could this amount be just for verification? Ridiculous.

What am I supposed to do now? I'll forward this complaint to Apple, after I have some words and understanding. Kind of sure they'll help out but I'm just wondering what is this that has happened? Anyone with similar experience?

Why don't you call the apple customer and see what they tell? they might be able to help you.

If apple customer care gives you a negative reply and that they didn't charge your card, call HDFC customer care and report the same, remember to get a docket/complaint number from the bank, they might ask you to send certain form/s later to claim the amount.

Oh, and I haven't yet registered the iPhone. Just to correct my information.

Thanks gmano, I'll do that now.

Update: "The call center is currently closed." -- Apple Customer Support

Update 2: Where do I check my account's credit/balance?

Update 3: No, I don't have anything as credit as well. I am now suspecting a fraud. :(

Just report it to the HDFC bank and ask them not release funds, get a docket number for the complaint. Later on you can send the complaint in writing and whatever claim forms they ask you to send. As you have not bought anything and your credit card is being charged, its your duty to report it to your Credit card issuing bank. Reporting will also save you from further misuse of your card details

Just guessing here,48.63 looks pretty close to what $1 is today.Maybe there wanted to verify the card and instead of charging Rs48.63 they ended up charging $48.63.Report it to HDFC and ask for a chargeback,at the same time contact itunes support and inquire about their card verification methods.Again,just guessing here.

gmano said:
Just report it to the HDFC bank and ask them not release funds, get a docket number for the complaint. Later on you can send the complaint in writing and whatever claim forms they ask you to send. As you have not bought anything and your credit card is being charged, its your duty to report it to your Credit card issuing bank. Reporting will also save you from further misuse of your card details

I called HDFC Delhi number, he said since the transaction has been approved, a dispute can only be raised if the merchant accepts the money within 24 hours. If the merchant doesn't, money is automatically reverted. And if I want to raise a dispute, I shall call them on monday. That's it.

HDFC Chandigarh told me to send in a written complaint.

They don't respond finely to releasing of funds or whatever, "it's approved already, you should wait for merchant's action".

I'm stuck. that "I-TUNES" doesn't even look like "ITUNES". I have been cheated? Huh!? :huh:

hahhahaha i want to have a gooooooooooood biggggggggggggg laughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's (is it?) Rs. 48.63 for I-TUNES-USD. They didn't put rupee currency unit in SMS(read on top). And this is the amount apple charges for verification and reverts later (whatever). $1.

I hope I'm correct with this unit assumption since the dollar price is almost also as close. The rep also spoke rupees forty eight. :ashamed:

the iphone pranked on me? :rofl:

i'm sad i lost iTunes music store access by changing country from US to India :mad: any suggestions? i'm regretting this change.

Back