Less than 10K Cheap 2nd hand iphone to experience ios?

mysticrainman

Disciple
If i want to just experience ios, which would be the cheapest iphone I should buy?

Especially request people who have migrated from an old iphone (5th gen- 7th gen types) to new iphone to share their experience.

Points to note (perhaps will help understand my current mindset)

1. I'm a lifelong Android user. I've never rooted but i consider myself decently tech - savvy/ can learn to tweak stuff. I've recently felt more and more want of a more compact mobile in my hand. Iphones are looking an attractive option but my lack of ios experience is making me wary of shelling out 65k + right now.

2. Subquery - How different is current ios to the older versions?
Someone recommended me to get the iPhone x at least to undergo the button-less experience. But I'd like something which would not cost me more then 8k-ish, since I'll consider this as a step to an eventual latest iphone purchase in due time.

P.s. if people have cheap, really well maintained iphones to sell, you may pm me and I'll be happy to post a buy thread in marketplace.
@raksrules you had suggested iPhone x. Any suggestions aligned to my specific queries above?

Last edited:
iPhone 7 is oldest that you should consider, it's on last iOS version of its life,
Other than the gesture based navigation on new iphones normal experience is pretty same.

One more thing if you rely on using web browser alot, I would suggest don't go for any 4.7inch screen varient all those have weird scaling issue on many websites.

try get an iphone 11.. i recently sold a very well maintained one (belonged to my dad) for 26.5K so similar examples should be available at similar costs where you are.

Anything older than that will have a really old SoC that will feel sluggish in comparison to the more recent phones that you would be used to

Anything older than that will have a really old SoC that will feel sluggish in comparison to the more recent phones that you would be used to
I think your suggestion is way out of my budget for a step up phone. Speed is something I'm ready to compromise on. I idea is mostly about experiencing the work flows and understanding what is possible / not possible in ios as an os in comparison to Android.

One more thing if you rely on using web browser alot, I would suggest don't go for any 4.7inch screen varient all those have weird scaling issue on many websites.
Could you please elaborate on this?

Sumone on the forum is selling iphone xs why not go for that :)
I'll check it out. Meanwhile any cheaper suggestions?

Could you please elaborate on this?
what i meant was, when you open any site such with images/media and text many times it will show image as per size and screen ratio of newer full screen iphone, and text would be small, but image / embeded video portion takes 50-60% height of screen then one need to pinch around adjusting items with 2 fingers, it kind of remove purpose of small size phone. this thing i've observed since 2020 in iphone 6s, and currently same behaviour in iphone SE 2nd gen.

if you only use apps for most of tasks it won't be an issue, and other thing sometime in 2021 upi apps like icici bank, paytm stopped registering with upi in iphone 6s some safety warning was showed, and as apple control most apps hence i had suggested not buy any older than iphone7 due to software suppport.

what i meant was, when you open any site such with images/media and text many times it will show image as per size and screen ratio of newer full screen iphone, and text would be small, but image / embeded video portion takes 50-60% height of screen then one need to pinch around adjusting items with 2 fingers, it kind of remove purpose of small size phone. this thing i've observed since 2020 in iphone 6s, and currently same behaviour in iphone SE 2nd gen.

if you only use apps for most of tasks it won't be an issue, and other thing sometime in 2021 upi apps like icici bank, paytm stopped registering with upi in iphone 6s some safety warning was showed, and as apple control most apps hence i had suggested not buy any older than iphone7 due to software suppport.
Thank you, that was insightful.

I think your suggestion is way out of my budget for a step up phone. Speed is something I'm ready to compromise on. I idea is mostly about experiencing the work flows and understanding what is possible / not possible in ios as an os in comparison to Android.
I get where you are coming from - no one wants to spend a lot on an experiment that has a 50:50 chance of success.
The catch is if you buy a compromised model, the experiment has a near 100% chance of failure.

Reason why I say this - what you lose is actually easy to list down e.g. (but not limited to)

- Infinite UI/look/feel customization like android
- Ability to sideload apps easily
- certain google apps are lesser counterparts of their android variant

You should be able to glean that information from here as well as other secondary research without having to spend anything.

As for your workflows, most will be available , some may need tweaks but it would be a rare workflow that you can achieve on android (or ios) and not on the other platform.

What you gain however is more subtle - and usage of a dated phone/ old SoC will negate those gains upfront

I get where you are coming from - no one wants to spend a lot on an experiment that has a 50:50 chance of success.
The catch is if you buy a compromised model, the experiment has a near 100% chance of failure.

Reason why I say this - what you lose is actually easy to list down e.g. (but not limited to)

- Infinite UI/look/feel customization like android
- Ability to sideload apps easily
- certain google apps are lesser counterparts of their android variant

You should be able to glean that information from here as well as other secondary research without having to spend anything.

As for your workflows, most will be available , some may need tweaks but it would be a rare workflow that you can achieve on android (or ios) and not on the other platform.

What you gain however is more subtle - and usage of a dated phone/ old SoC will negate those gains upfront

Thanks for the detailed explainer! I'll keep a look out for affordable offers for your suggested sets.

Let me also find out if there are detailed workflows on iOS as online videos

Back