Cheap 3G plans - Mumbai

kriplani

Disciple
Hi Friends,

I would like to purchase a prepaid connection in Mumbai, which would be used for voice and 3G data.

Request you to suggest which telecom service provider gives value for money 3G data services. I would like to avail some package whose validity is approx. 30 days, with monthly usage of around 500 MB. Quality of service would also matter i.e. network quality should be reasonably good.

I am already using Vodafone who has been gradually increasing the cost of data, so please suggest some other service providers.

regards,

Craptel , idea have almost same tariffs as Vodafone , tata DoCoMo is only 2g and Mtnl is cheap but the worst network in Mumbai .
I use Vodafone,tata DoCoMo and Mtnl trump .
Best for me is Vodafone , but expensive , DoCoMo cheap @ 66₹ per 28 days 300 mb data , Mtnl @1250₹ for a year @900mb/mt .

I have the option of getting corporate postpaid plan. Do Telecom Service Providers not increase price for corporate plans?

Any idea about charges and quality of Reliance GSM.

If you want the absolute cheapest 3g then nothing can beat MTNL, they are the cheapest by far but as someone already mentioned the network is awful, if you are outside then it's good, but if you are inside a building good luck getting a decent signal.
Don't even get 2g inside my house but decent 3g outside.

You can get Airtel 3G for Rs.158/- 1 GB for 28 days and it auto promotes to 4G , this pack is only available from Airtel App

After seeing all the replies and checking locally, I guess the main choices would be either Vodafone or Airtel.

Any idea on quality of Airtel's network in Mumbai?

After seeing all the replies and checking locally, I guess the main choices would be either Vodafone or Airtel.

Any idea on quality of Airtel's network in Mumbai?

I have not used Vodafone 3G (going to switch soon), but have used Airtel's ]3G and 4G. Or as I like to call it - dabba network. 40% of the time, your phone will be showing 3G and you will not get H+, hence maps will show you stuck in the same location even though you have moved. 4G is great when it works. I have two screenshots taken on 4G where the progress bar is just rotating. Another issue I have is with call drops at specific locations.

Coming to Vodafone, from my boss - the service is not so great either, but at least no call drops.

Last edited:
i am personally using Airtel 4G connection since last 2 months and i never had a call drop. Also throughout mumbai 4G range is good. Speed is awesome. In fact i have had very bad experience with vodafone. Even i was on 3G plan, most of the times while traveling used to get EDGE speed. Range is also not good which it used to be earlier. Dont know whats wrong with vodafone guys.

Will suggest to go for Airtel as they have improved alot.

Since we have two people who claim that 4G is great, that means there are issues with my boss's iPhone 6+ and with my Yuphoria. Airtel has been aggressively pitching Airtel 4G at Ghatkopar and other metro stations, and i got this issue twice at Ghatkopar metro station on 4G. Will attach screenshots.

Coming to Vodafone - we have billing issues with them as well. All non Mumbai numbers will not be ported to Vodafone now.

I don't think we can expect 100mbps speed in 4G from Airtel and never a 3 mins download for a full movie as they advertise. I mainly ported from vodofone to airtel as the 3G speed became pathetic in vodofone but no complaints on calls as they were crisp and clean. I have a postpaid connection and moved to airtel through corporate plan. Airtel 4G is above average than 3G and yes sometimes the data speed drops to H+ but earlier with vodofone it used to be difficult to open many shopping portals but airtel 4G helps as they now open in a flash.

Back