Cheap chromecast/android tv stick recommendations for taking on the go (Budget 1k-1.2k)

mayank0623

Disciple
Hi. I'm looking for budget Chromecast dongles/android tv sticks that i can use to cast media from my phone to TVs while I'm travelling. Android TV functionality itself isn't necessary, as long as I can mirror my phone's screen to the TV I'm good. 1080p casting at cinematic framerate would be only requirement. Found many sub 1k-1.2k casting dongles on Amazon but their reviews and specs are all over the place, so I'm looking for recommendations from this community in same price range. Thanks!

Amazon :)

May be just get new and it will even serve well in your home.
I actually already have a Chromecast for my home TV, which is why I was looking for something cheap that I could order off Amazon and just toss into my travel bag. Anyway I've made a WTB thread, let's see how it goes

One thing to keep in mind with the cheaper sticks is they only support DLNA or Miracast, so screen sharing would be pretty restricted. A lot of android devices only support casting to devices that support the Chromecast protocol

I actually already have a Chromecast for my home TV, which is why I was looking for something cheap that I could order off Amazon and just toss into my travel bag. Anyway I've made a WTB thread, let's see how it goes
Get a Firestick for home and you can use that existing Chromecast

Hi. I'm looking for budget Chromecast dongles/android tv sticks that i can use to cast media from my phone to TVs while I'm travelling. Android TV functionality itself isn't necessary, as long as I can mirror my phone's screen to the TV I'm good. 1080p casting at cinematic framerate would be only requirement. Found many sub 1k-1.2k casting dongles on Amazon but their reviews and specs are all over the place, so I'm looking for recommendations from this community in same price range. Thanks!
why not just attach laptop to hdmi port of tv and project to it quessing everyone atleast for work carries a laptop so

I'm not working, just going to be travelling frequently between cities for a bit, and I'm trying to travel light, which my laptop isn't
do you have a phone that supports usb c dp ? that could work too otherwise chromecast it is please note chromecast required active internet connection,just wifi does not cut.

do you have a phone that supports usb c dp ? that could work too otherwise chromecast it is please note chromecast required active internet connection,just wifi does not cut.
Unfortunately no, but for screencasting I'm assuming the active internet connection is just used to maintain the link between the casting device and the Chromecast itself, and the casting itself takes place over Wi-Fi, which shouldn't use much data, should it? Or does the screen mirroring take place over the internet too?

Someone offline is offering me their Airtel Xstream STB for 1k, which as I understand it does have Chromecast, so it seems like a great deal in theory. However I am curious if I can use it purely as an Android tv box without actually being subscribed to Airtel DTH? Does the first time setup for the STB not require some sort of user ID to ensure people are in fact using an Airtel fiber/DTH connection? Are there any custom ROMs I can flash to it to convert it purely into an Android Box?

Last edited:
I have always travelled with a firetv stick. I prefer it over chromecast for some unknown reason. I like the remote maybe :p.

Any TV I buy, or my friends, I simply slap a firestick to it, kind of weird I know but that how good it is(for me)

Okay I was able to get a 2nd gen Chromecast for 1.2k, and thankfully it doesn't need an active internet connection while the screen casting is going on, only needs it to start the casting process itself. Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Back