Storage Solutions Cheap download RIG/NAS for BSNL DataOne

rareravi

Disciple
I want to build cheap downloading rig(headless)/NAS for dataone night unlimited (2-8AM) and music/movies sharing.

some of my requirements are

1>Low power consumption
2>Remote management
3>Torrent download scheduling
4>NAS features like File sharing,ftp,print server,streaming etc
5>Small in size
6>Good performence (Good data rates...)
7>Lot of customization options and VFM
8>Budget around 10k(without disks)

I have following devices
1>Two desktops
2>One laptop
3>Linksys WAG200g gateway(modem,router,WiFi)
4>WD 640GB and Seagate 320GB HDD

Here are some of my ideas about rig
1>Building Atom based rig
2>Using NAS enclosures
3>Using eee pc box(like asus)
4>Some ready to use NAS (WD World Edition) and customize it
techenclave gurus please pour your ideas and help me to build one..

An Atom will be able to run the WHS. Checkout We Got Served - Windows Home Server and Your Digital Home

I am suggesting this as this will serve your requirements for the server as well as an headless downloading system. I am using WHS for all my digital needs and it streams to over 13 units in my household. Everything from movies and music to photos. You can keep adding drives to it and you won't run out of disk space.

^:p

Thanx to Freaky, I got the Atom rig connected to the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 (with the tamatar f/w!) yesterday!

Need to setup the connection between the main rig and the atom rig and I'm done. For a while i.e.

What OS are you using with the Atom?

If someone needs help with the *ahem* version of WHS, pm me. :p

Mods don't reprimand me. If I am in violation of the rules, delete the post.

SumitB said:
What OS are you using with the Atom?

If someone needs help with the *ahem* version of WHS, pm me. :p

Mods don't reprimand me. If I am in violation of the rules, delete the post.

Win 7 32bit. Minus the fact that there're no proper graphics driver built for the Atom the OS actually runs pretty fine. And this's on a stick of 1GB RAM!

I'd be switching to XP SP2 after a while since the lags are bothering me a bit.

Sorry to intrude but I've a similar query of my own. I've been using my main rig as the download rig. Now with power cuts my downloads do get hampered a lot so I want something which is:

1. Low power consumption so that can be even run off an Inverter in case of power outage.
  2. Supports Bit Torrent and direct transfers over network. I should be able to access and transfer files from it to my main rig or laptop.
  3. Should allow me to check the status, start and stop, add or remove, torrents remotely.
  4. Should be able to manage without screen.
  5. Small size if possible.

In order to access it remotely, I know I should have Dynamic DNS masking but I'm having problem with it too so if u guys can then please see to it also.

As for this I don't have a budget restriction as such coz to be honest I don't currently have a budget for it. U guys tell me from the cheapest to the best and I'll see how much I can spend.

I'm open for all ideas, I mean, Atom based rigs, proper NAS, Network servers, anything.

Right now I have my BSNL WiFi modem as the main network device and the main Rig/DL Rig is connected to it in a wired way, Laptop thru wired and wireless both and phone wirelessly.

rareravi said:
But i need to schedule torrents for dataone 2am-8am downloads and needs to support router rebooting script...Will any ready to use NAS support those?

WD world edition(with modification)

Thecus N299..

I want to know about these things too. What r they? How do they work? Most important How much?

Well, it looks good, but how the hell does it works? Where to attach HDDs to it? How to connect it to PC to configure it?

I was also reading about Windows Home Server and wanted to know 2 things. First, does it supports P2P activities like Bit Torrent ? Secondly, can it be managed via Linux?

The dealextreme thingy connects to hdd's via USB. All you need to do is click on the link which has been repeatedly provided to have all the information at your disposal.

On another note, imho an Atom rig is the best solution for this issue. It does not get tied down to a restricted interface like the dealextreme thingy. It gives you complete flexibility and permits you to run your rig the way you want with any OS of your choice. It can easily run headless via RDP on Windows and VNC on *nix. Those who like to keep a tight leash on things can easily set it up with custom scripts et al.

The normal 100mbps LAN connection is more than sufficient to stream HD content over a wired network while the availability of USB ports means that you can easily set up a wireless network without any issues as well.

I get ur point but my restriction here is that the thing has to be ON/OFF machine. My modem is my PPPoE dialer so as soon as I switch it ON, connection starts and since I've an Unlimited connection there is no problem with it. I want the same feature for the download machine so that even in my absence, my folks, who dunno anyhting about computers, can turn it ON if by any chance it goes offline. :ashamed:

Back