PC Peripherals Cheap Download Rig Questions?

rareravi

Disciple
I want to build cheap downloading machine[headless] for 24x7 use and must have very low power consumption.Must be capable of running xp so that I can perform modem reboots,scheduling etc.

Required Components

Mini-ITX cabinet
Board+processor
512MB/1GB ram

Here are what I found so far

BOARD & PROCESSOR
1>Atom [single/dual core]
2>AMD Sempron LE1150/1250 +AMD 740 G mobo
3>sempron LE + geforce 6100 board
4>sempron 140 + Asus M2N 68 Am Plus

ITX - CABINET

1>iball nettop 009
Features:
HD Audio and MIC jacks
5.25 Inch Bays: 1 x 5.25 Inch Normal DVD Writer / ODD Bay
3.5 Inch Bays: 1 x 3.5 Inch Normal Hard Disk Drive Bay
Motherboard Form Factors: ATOM based Mini-ITX Motherboards
Front USB Ports: 2 x USB 2.0 Ports
Front Audio Ports: HD Audio MIC and Speaker Out
Cooling Fans: 1 x 4cm Rear Cooling Fan
Extra Cooling Fan Provision: 1 x 4cm Front Cooling Fan Provision
Power Supply: iBall STX 180-153 (24pin-150W) SMPS
Dimensions: 102 x 316 x 278mm (HxWxD)
LINK:iBall Nettop009
Price: Rs. 1400 approx

2>KOBIAN Nutron KM-179

NEWS: Kobian has introduced Mercury Nutron KM-179 series of mini-ITX cabinets compatible with motherboards for Intel Atom processors through Inspan Infotech.Nutron KM-179 cabinet measures 1.84 cubic feet in volume and is said to be featuring low acoustic noise, 120W Flex ATX power supply unit, and remote On/Off and built-in EMI filter.

The product promises low power consumption and come with 3-year warranty and is available exclusively with Inspan in India.

LINK: Not available
Price: Rs 1,900 APPROX

3>CFI A8989GG ITX [From Prime]
Chassis Material : SECC
Front Panel Material : ABS
Dimension: (L) 303 x (W) 200 x (H) 166mm
Driver Bays 5.25 "x 1 (exposed) ,3.5 "x 1 (hidden)
Front I/O: USB 2.0 x 2 ,HD Audio & MIC x 1
Cooling Fan:8cm fan
Power Supply :150W ATX with FCC / CE (Internal)

LINK:CFI Group

price:Rs. 2700 approx

4>?????
Please write your comments and suggestion.

Go for AMD 740 G based mobo + Sempron LE 1150,

Just make sure you underclock the proccy to 1Ghz @ 0.80 V core and enjoy great power savings along with having a benefit of bieng future proof.

I would suggest to get atleast 2GB RAM to be safe... DDR2 is not that expensive anyways... Even 667Mhz would do... Maybe second hand..

If you have to spend 4k then I would suggest Intel E2120 or above or Athlon X2 which paired with a 2k+ mobo will come for 5-6k max and beat the crap out of the rig you are planning.

rite said:
If you have to spend 4k then I would suggest Intel E2120 or above or Athlon X2 which paired with a 2k+ mobo will come for 5-6k max and beat the crap out of the rig you are planning.

Really? Will the download speeds double? ;)

rite said:
Why should I spend 1-2k more for a download machine as I mentioned in #1 post also Low power consumption is my first priority.Is E2120 is energy efficient?

zhopudey said:
Really? Will the download speeds double? ;)
NO:no:

Back