Cheap ebook readers ?

Neotheone

Figuring stuff out
Adept
Hi !
I have a quite large collection of ebooks with me on my pc, but dont exactly enjoy reading them on the monitor.....so i think i'd better get an ebook reader, if i could get one for a decent price...now i'd love to know if there are any decent choices within the 5K price range.....Obviously i can't get the best of them, but are there any cheap alternatives ?

PS: I would not really mind a few features missing as long as it can read pdf's and has a decent display........

eBookwise reader is the only one that fits in your budget. BTW, you should let go of this misbelief that ebook = pdf :p PDF was never ever meant to used as a readable format. It was designed for printing, not reading.

Your outta luck dude. No such thing in your budget. I have gone through the same.

Options:

1. Sony Ebook reader: 300$

SonyStyle.com | Portable Reader System

2. Tequilacat ebook reader available for almost all java enabled phones. Get a phone with a nice resolution screen (like the 320X240 on the nokia 5300) and enjoy. Bit uncomfortable but doable.

Book Reader for Java Mobile Phones

3. Get something with an even bigger screen like a PSP or teh creative zen vision w/vision M/ IPOD. ipod can also directly read text. The psp/vision w have nice 472X280 4.5 inch screens. Get txt2jpg to convert text files to list of jpg which you can then view on screen and read. I use it, its pretty good. :D

TXT2JPG : Pour les possesseurs de Creative, Archos, Cowon, Apple et autres

umm if u can get ur hands on a second hand psp it should do the job quite nicely..but ull have to install homebrew on it first..ull need an app called bookr

err...like i mentioned in the post above..all you need is a PSP and no modifications at all!!!!! Cos i havent checked but i believe you can freely browse photos on it, right? Then thats all you need along with txt2jpg on your PC :D

Hmm, but how is experience while reading jpgs / txt on the psp...cause I dont think it'll be good to read it WS, maybe turn it by 90 degrees to read...and that would make holding a psp a tad uncomfy na...

besides I like to hold a book by one hand while reading...and the psp/vision w arent meant for 1 hand holding afaik...

I prefer to read it WS only :D

The default option in the program is actually the other way around but i find it too narrow.

Holding it is not a problem for the zen vision w either way. And it is possible to hold it one handed though dont expect to do it for a long time ;) I always rest it on a support at the back or something.

Shouldnt be that big an issue with the PSP too if your willing to read WS :)

EDIT: Oh, and the experience on the W is great. :) I always have a book on it now.

and how abt the cheap devices that they sell online...labelling them as 7 in one's and all....with an apparently decent screen resolution and low priced too ....they're locally available for around 2000 , although the dealers have no idea about their abilitiy to read text , they do have decent memory and can be used to view jpegs.... are they any good ? (The dealers are dumb enough to use a common name for all such music and video players.....guess what.............it's "IPOD" ;)

I am guessing you are referring to the so called MP4 players available in the market? The cheap "China made" etc ones? Dont think those have any kind of screen resolution/warranty/build quality/screen size dude. Havent personally used one so wouldnt know, but if you are willing to go fo one of those, get a halfway decent phone and use the java bookreader on that instead. Better option :p

Back