Graphic Cards Cheap Graphic card to drive my HTPC

Sei

Skilled
I recently purchased a 40" LCD (running at 1920x1080) which is connected to my download rig. Now I have an old 7900GS which is working except for the fan on the heatsink.

So, my first question is that whether it can be repaired? It's by EVGA and is pretty old. I powered up the computer with that attached and it was easily detected but got pretty hot without the fan, as you can very well imagine.

If it can be repaired, well and good. If it cannot, I'll be needing a cheap replacement which can drive 1080p with ease over HDMI. These answers should give you an idea. :)

What is your budget?

As less as possible. It should be able to help in 1080p viewing and should have an HDMI output. I will not mind going in for a second hand card too.

Current rig Specs

E6300 @ 1.8GHz

2GB RAM

Which PSU/SMPS will you be using?

VIP 500W

Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC)Only viewing media. Smooth playback upto full HD. No gaming, ever.

Open to both Nvidia/ATI?

No issues there. But I think ATI has a better lineup for HTPC. Am I right?

Please suggest something that is sufficient for my needs!

Thanks in advance! :)

MSI Nvidia 8400GS - 1.8k~
Good HTPC card. There was a discussion in a thread in TE about HTPC cards sometime back(a month or so). Cant recall in which section. Try searching for it. That was pretty informative.

This above can drive the HTPC with 1080p movies without any issues??

PS: The link for the thread will be great! :)

Just get a 120 mm fan some zipties and replace the fan on the 7900GS.

But, if your thinking of power consumption maybe you should get 4350/8400GS

As this is going to be HTPC card, dont think anything cheap will do if you are going to watch SD or interlaced SD/HD videos.

You will run into problems with HD5570 and lower (entire last gen cheap cards as well as HD5450and 5570 and Nvidia's GT210 as well ) if you demand the card to have good de-interlacing performance which honestly is very very important.

You need something like HD5670 or GT220 for this. And trust me, you are better off investing little money now than to watch the garbage on that big screen. ANd while you are spending some money, get 5670 over GT220. It will offer you lot more options to tweak from CCC and has better video performance.

Do not skimp now and settle for something less. This will last you for a while. so get 5670 and be done with it.

Likes of 8400GS, GT210, HD4350, HD5450, 5570 are simply not powerful enough to handle these tasks effectively. And yes, there is significant impact on image quality. You will notice it immediately.

H2O said:
Just get a 120 mm fan some zipties and replace the fan on the 7900GS.

But, if your thinking of power consumption maybe you should get 4350/8400GS

Power consumption can wait if I don't have to spend money immediately. Will try that out first. Thanks!

Shripad said:
As this is going to be HTPC card, dont think anything cheap will do if you are going to watch SD or interlaced SD/HD videos.

You will run into problems with HD5570 and lower (entire last gen cheap cards as well as HD5450and 5570 and Nvidia's GT210 as well ) if you demand the card to have good de-interlacing performance which honestly is very very important.

You need something like HD5670 or GT220 for this. And trust me, you are better off investing little money now than to watch the garbage on that big screen. ANd while you are spending some money, get 5670 over GT220. It will offer you lot more options to tweak from CCC and has better video performance.

Do not skimp now and settle for something less. This will last you for a while. so get 5670 and be done with it.

Likes of 8400GS, GT210, HD4350, HD5450, 5570 are simply not powerful enough to handle these tasks effectively. And yes, there is significant impact on image quality. You will notice it immediately.

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. How much will a 5670 cost? And will it run without any issues on my VIP 500W? Don't have the money to invest in a PSU right now after buying the LCD and lappy. :(

Back