PC Peripherals Cheapest monochrome laser printer that runs on linux

shaunak

Adept
A quick question:

I am looking for a laser printer that satisfy the following:

1. Monochrome

2. Cheapest on the market

3. Runs on Linux

4. Gives good results for toner transfer.

From some preliminary online research I have found that Brother printers dont seem to work well for point 4 so that rules them out.

Manufacturers offering VFM high yield or extended capacity tonner cartridges would be preferable. (eg samsung has a 6000 page 'heavy use' cartridge).

I dont plan on using locally refilled tonner cartridges, so the manufacturer's quoted CPP is important to me.

Also a printer with a separate drum and tonner cartridge refill would be preferable. (I figure it would work out to be cheaper to use over time that way)

-----

Extending the question with the TE template:

1. Q: What is your budget?

A: As low as possible.

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

A: AMD Phenom 9650 Quad + Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP + 2 GB RAM. I have both, the parallel and USB ports free, so that is not a worry.

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

A: I am using a canon inkjet, and I may or may not keep that. In any case, the question is irrelevant.

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

A: A laser printer. (described above)

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

A: I plan on buying more RAM, but again this question is probably irrelevant.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

A: Lamington road, Mumbai, Maharashtra.

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

A: Yep. Offers anyone?

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

A: Um... printing?

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

A: No Brother, it doesn't seem to work for PCB making.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

A: Age of empires 2. The best game ever! I dont know how this relates to printer though. :huh:

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

A: AOE doesn't go beyond 1280x1024.

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. The printer? Is it possible? :(

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows XP Pro

2. Fedora 11

Samsung laser printers work out of box with ubuntu.

I connected it to ubuntu pc .

Withing a minute it was printing the pages .

They are cheap , and very economical .

No problems till now in my Samsung ml1610 ( been using it for over a year , more than 5K pages , got toner refilled at 3K pages )

I asked at Lamington road. He said INR 3600 which sounded reasonable to me. I think I will go for it.

Thanks for the Reply.

Back