Audio Cheapest MP3 Player with a line out?

Ritvik

Adept
Looking for a cheap portable MP3 source with decent battery life. Something that's either still in production or easily available second hand via ebay or head-fi.......... the cheaper the better.

Must have,
  1. a dedicated line-out
  2. play FLAC or support Rockbox.
  3. Good battery life
  4. High capacity or memory card support

Also, will there be a significant change when compared to amp'ing via my S9's headphone out? Currently thinking of a old 5th gen classic, but open to anything else as well.

The imod option (in the future) makes the ipod seem like a good bet. What do you guys think?

Amarbir

Skilled
Ritvik said:
Looking for a cheap portable MP3 source with decent battery life. Something that's either still in production or easily available second hand via ebay or head-fi.......... the cheaper the better.

Must have,

1. a dedicated line-out
  2. play FLAC or support Rockbox.
  3. Good battery life
  4. High capacity or memory card support

Also, will there be a significant change when compared to amp'ing via my S9's headphone out? Currently thinking of a old 5th gen classic, but open to anything else as well.

The imod option (in the future) makes the ipod seem like a good bet. What do you guys think?
Well,

Any Sandisk Sansa Product With a Line Out Cable Haa Ha Cheap And Best

bennysachdev

Adept
Sflo2

Login

Best LO

Native flac support

Can drive all iems(including the RE1 without the need for an Amp) and some low impedence / decent sensitivity hps.

32gb (16 internal + 16gb card)

I use it with my M50's bro......For a portable rig, you don't need to carry an amp.

strategy

Skilled
my order took 2.5 months to reach me ....sflo i.e.

...not cheap....9K for 16GB + 2K for 16 GB card =11
when you can get ipod 5.5g 80 gb for around 3-5K secondhand.

Ritvik

Adept
Alright so I really really really need something with a good line-out to do justice to the mustang and the iems. Waiting around to find a decent 5th gen is getting annoying! Thinking about getting the Fuze. Can anyone post here with a link to the fuze's line out cable? Haven't been able to find it.

Also say I do find a cable and get the fuze as well. Will I have issues rockboxing the fuze and then using the lineout. In all likely hood it will be V2 version since they're easier to find.

strategy

Skilled
in that case i would like to suggest the S:flo as Benny mentioned. their lineout is better.

as you will be buying a fuse as well, buy a sflo instead. availability is not an issue i suppose.

EDIT: can you do with a broken screen IPOD 5.5g 80gb...my friend was selling one 3months back , he might have it , i may ask him, or you can take his no.

Ritvik

Adept
Thanks for the offer but I won't be back home for quite sometime. Working out a deal on head-fi for an elna duorex II modded ipod / imod, that's been rockboxed, DIY LOD and also has the compact flash mod. Hopefully this should work out. :D