Storage Solutions Cheapest place to get used HDDs for bulk storage?

slippery

Disciple
Does anyone here have experiencing purchasing used HDDs?

I won't be storing any sensitive data on these so being old is fine. I'm hoping to get 1TB drives (ideally 2.5inch) under 1k.

Possible?

My 90% hdds are used ones bought either from here, friends or office (but were under warranty) so no issues. Just replaced ones within warranty and no issues..touch wood! Working great for years and even decades.
Sadly current gen hdds fail either within 3-5yrs and are no match for durability which yesteryear hdds used to offer.

My 90% hdds are used ones bought either from here, friends or office (but were under warranty) so no issues. Just replaced ones within warranty and no issues..touch wood! Working great for years and even decades.
Sadly current gen hdds fail either within 3-5yrs and are no match for durability which yesteryear hdds used to offer.
Agreed about the lifespan part. I have a WD Blue from 2009 that's still working today (although hasn't been used a lot).

Last edited:
Agreed about the lifespan part. I have a WD Blue from 2009 that's still working today (although hasn't been used a lot).
And I still have a 320gb WD blue bought in 2020 here itself used one and using it daily since that year..going so strong as if bought just recently. Just unplugged her on 30th June to make way for another 1tb.

And I still have a 320gb WD blue bought in 2020 here itself used one and using it daily since that year..going so strong as if bought just recently. Just unplugged her on 30th June to make way for another 1tb.
That's nice. Hoping I can find some good deals on some drives. I have a total of 170gb free across a total of 2.5TB of drives lol.

Try buying used or repurposed WD drives from electronics market or if you can from nehru place.....i bought a few myself in 2020 and are quite cheap and still running....some are shucked drives and some are repurposed....if u need a contact i can share u.....had bought it from that person and all are still going good and also come with some warranty too

I'd advice against buying a HDD for external use as they tend to fail very easily. I bought a WD my passport new but the drive failed right after the warranty period ended, and I lost all my data. I later found out that people are having similar issues from amazon reviews. HDD's are just not made for normal use like we do with flash drives.
get a SSD or maybe Cloud storage could also be an option.

Try buying used or repurposed WD drives from electronics market or if you can from nehru place.....i bought a few myself in 2020 and are quite cheap and still running....some are shucked drives and some are repurposed....if u need a contact i can share u.....had bought it from that person and all are still going good and also come with some warranty too
Thank you, I'm planning on going to the Nehra Market equivalent of my city soon.

If you think your contact would be opening to shipping out those hard drives, I'd love to speak to them.

Thank you, I'm planning on going to the Nehra Market equivalent of my city soon.

If you think your contact would be opening to shipping out those hard drives, I'd love to speak to them.
Yes....i got it shipped from him initially as there was lockdown that time. Whats ur location btw.

Seriously?
I bought a 500gb off olx somewhere in 2011 or so for a needy pal. It was a f2f deal.
Went home and attached the disk. Health was top notch and drive was under few months warranty. It had some hidden partitions.
When I allocated drive letters, one partition contained games while other partition had random pron thing. Was browsing through and found the sellers private banging videos and pics.:D
Gosh! Got the hdd replaced from seagate. He didn't bothered but I deleted everything manually plus applied few erasing methods so that nobody could recover the stuff again.

Last edited:
Back