Cheapest Stable Wifi router?

greenhorn said:
linksys WRT54G. its like the stock buffalo

i use it. very stable , well supported, and easily available, i mean, if you walk out and ask your neighbourhood pc shop for a wireless router, chances are, you'll get the linksys or the netgear. i bought the linkys because it had 2 antennas and didnt look gay :p

Never use Linksys WRT54G .. I have some 2-3 with me with no good. The Indian version of these routers are strip down to nothing. Highly unstable and if you have 6-7 user connecting any day then forget about it.

Well you could pay little more and get Access Point of the same series WAP54G, you will be surprised at the build quality and the range, its way better than WRT54G router. Yes you will miss those extra LAN ports and " routing " function.

To my surprise the cheapest stable Router is from D-LINK, it beats Buffalo when it comes to stability and multi-user access. At one of our site we had setup D-LINK in one conner and Buffalo on other (Used other combination also) but it always happen one in every week we had to reboot buffalo AP/ routers.

Well that was long time ago now we replaced all with CISCO autonomous AP, some places even one AP cover the entire office floor. But for home use I would recommend an D-LINK Access Point (Dual Band) or D-Link Router.

You can extend your range by using 2.4Ghz 3.0db Antenna with low loss co-axial cable.

Sorry missed this

Access Points (even the cheapest ones) comes with Bridge Mode and Repeater Mode.

You if you have wide area to cover and want less cable, you could consider this as an option.

Back