OC & Modding Check This Out

SCSI

Adept
This mesage is for OCers owing a NF3 250/250GB based mobo :

I have seen a message at MSI forum by a Red Rocet team member (I don't know what's that team; may be of MSI ppl) that there "IS NO SEPARATE CHIPSET VOLTAGE FOR ALL NF3 BASED MOBOs. THE AGP VOLTAGE ON ALL NF3 MOBO HAS A SWEET SIDE EFFECT ie ON INCREASING AGP VOLTAGE CHIPSET VOLTAGE INCREASES AS WELL"

Ok now I am just interested in knowing if VICE-VERSA IS TRUE???

Nothing new, its just that the board doesnt have a PCI/AGP lock. That means as your increase Vcore, AGP, PCI bus voltages increase proportionately.

Edit: The dude claims that AGP voltage increases the VCore ? Dont understand, but I dont think AGP voltage should be increased in the first place as all OC'ers will be increasing Vcore as well.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong...

AFAIK, Just about all nF3 boards have adjustable chipset voltages! :S

Heck, none of the nF3 boards would be an enthusiast board if you couldnt adjust the chipset voltage.

anishcool said:
the board doesnt have a PCI/AGP lock. That means as your increase Vcore, AGP, PCI bus voltages increase

PCI/AGP locks refer to the frequencies not the voltages.

On a board with no PCI/AGP locks - as you increase your HTT, your PCI/AGP clocks would proportionately increase as well up from their default 33/66Mhz speeds respectively , leading to instability.

PCI/AGP locks keep the frequencies fixed at 33/66Mhz resp irrespective of the HTT speed thereby allowing you to reach higher HTTs with no hassle . :)

Crazy_Eddy said:
AFAIK, Just about all nF3 boards have adjustable chipset voltages! :S
Heck, none of the nF3 boards would be an enthusiast board if you couldnt adjust the chipset voltage.

NO PAL; I think u misunderstood me. Read below 4 ur self once again

ALL NF3 MOBOS HAVE A SWEET DISADVANTAGE OF INCREASING AGP VOLTAGE ie IT INCREASES THE CHIPSET VOLTAGE (WHICH HERE IS NF3 CHIPSET) AND THAT TOO BY THE SAME AMOUNT

NOTE : ALL NF3 CHIPS OPERATE AT 1.50V BY DEFAULT AND INCIDENTALLY THE DEFAULT AGP VOLTAGE HAPPENS TO BE THE SAME. ALTHOUGH THIS DOES NOT JUSTIFIES THE RELATION BETWEEN THE TWO

Thanks for the clarification bottle !

@SCSI : Well I understood what your saying but my point is that why should AGP voltages be increased ? You can achieve a great OC on your AGP card even at stock voltages.

About the chipset voltages, I think a BIOS update or maybe a voltmod should solve the issue. BTW I think Chaos is the only NF3 user here so his comments will be interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nopes... Havent noticed either the forward or backward happening on my lanparty. There is no use increasing AGP voltage anyway. Its only useful in curing compatibility problems. Increasing vAGP doesnt increase vCore to the gpu. To increase vCore, u generally need to do a mod on the card. (On most radeons, a simple pencil mod will do the trick) Increasing chipset voltage helps in stabilizing high HTT overclocks.

Chaos said:
Increasing vAGP doesnt increase vCore to the gpu. To increase vCore, u generally need to do a mod on the card. (On most radeons, a simple pencil mod will do the trick) Increasing chipset voltage helps in stabilizing high HTT overclocks.
I thought as much :eek:hyeah:

Chaos said:
Increasing chipset voltage helps in stabilizing high HTT overclocks.
Thanks for the info mate ! Didnt know about it :hap5:

might b that LP series are free from this fault but my neo platinum has this fault.

Anyways My brother took my A64 4000+ (San Deigo) away from me and got me his A643200+ (S-754) ;-(

Yep SCSI, understood what you were trying to say - "increasing AGP voltage increases Chipset voltage as well". What I was trying to say was, doesnt your Neo Platinum already have sufficient amount of voltage options for the Chipset? :)

I've usually found increasing chipset voltage just a notch or two at the most seems to be more than sufficient, its only for the really extreme overclocking that you need even higher volts.

anishcool said:
Thanks for the clarification bottle !

ahem ;)

Back