Graphic Cards choosing a good graphic card for my i5 rig

hhhcliff

Disciple
guys need some suggestions for selecting a good graphic cardboth cards are for 14.2 my options are
6950 1gb
MSI 560 GTX Ti Twin Frozr 2 1 GB

now heres the thing i have read some places that 6950 is better but is it that good also i really want to use physx
also thought of waiting for next gen cards as mobo is pci 3.0 but dont know if ill be able to wait as amd might release in jan and nvidia in april if im not wrong
so am totally confused which to choose:( as the msi card is 822mhz could not find the hawk version anywhere

also another thing is this is my first card so dont really know if ill be impressed or not with them:)

I would suggest you to get Hd6950 1gb which is slightly better than gtx560ti,if you are working on some professional softwares like maya or 3dsmax which requires cuda and physx then go for gtx560ti otherwise for gaming only 6950 is the way to go.If you can add extra 2k to your budget then you can get Hd6950 2gb it will satisfy you totally.

AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

My first most sensible advice: dont get carried away with the video memory of the card. .. boasting larger video memories in todays budget laptops and desktops has just become a trend, because that sells.. shopkeeper tells you, this card has 512 mb video memory, then he shows you probably some crappy graphic card from a brand you dont know about, tells you with amazement, this card has 2 gb video memory and that its giving performance for money whereas the 512 mb memory graphics card is just overcharging for brand value..but know one thing, your computer probably wont even be capable of using the full 512 mb video memory.. I have seen graphic cards in the price range of 3500 pounds, euros..that have just 512 mb video memory.. so what are they??/ overpriced for brand?? no !! they are more sensible cards and the people making them know that just going on increasing video memory wont increase performance of the card.. even your computer should be equally fast in every way, to be able to utilize the full potential of the graphic card

Its like having a ferrari in a city with bad roads...

Check the specs of the card like no. of transistors, frequency (mhz) of the card.. shaders, etc.. tech specs.. video memory is important, but u really dont need more than 512 mb.. so dont compromise on other important specs of the card just for extra video memory that the company's trying to sell to a not very aware market of consumers..

puneetritehere said:
My first most sensible advice: dont get carried away with the video memory of the card. .. boasting larger video memories in todays budget laptops and desktops has just become a trend, because that sells.. shopkeeper tells you, this card has 512 mb video memory, then he shows you probably some crappy graphic card from a brand you dont know about, tells you with amazement, this card has 2 gb video memory and that its giving performance for money whereas the 512 mb memory graphics card is just overcharging for brand value..but know one thing, your computer probably wont even be capable of using the full 512 mb video memory.. I have seen graphic cards in the price range of 3500 pounds, euros..that have just 512 mb video memory.. so what are they??/ overpriced for brand?? no !! they are more sensible cards and the people making them know that just going on increasing video memory wont increase performance of the card.. even your computer should be equally fast in every way, to be able to utilize the full potential of the graphic card

Its like having a ferrari in a city with bad roads...

Check the specs of the card like no. of transistors, frequency (mhz) of the card.. shaders, etc.. tech specs.. video memory is important, but u really dont need more than 512 mb.. so dont compromise on other important specs of the card just for extra video memory that the company's trying to sell to a not very aware market of consumers..

puneet what are you trying to say??????????????:huh:

where have i mentioned about memory and all??????????

you saying my pc not fast enough??????????:S

am just asking if i choose 560ti over 6950 it is going to be the smart movie as choice of 560 although its clock speed is only 822, will basically be only because of physx as i guess 6950 beat 560ti in review;)

guys please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@OP, You should go for 6950 1gb.... It beats Gtx 560 ti not by much but considerably... Both are all round good performers... If a game supports Physx then that game would run smooth on Nvidia 560 ti card else 6950 would perform better. Now its your decision to choose between those options.

Also please check the reviews of HIS 6870 1gb Iceq turbo x... It performs equal to 6950 2gb at almost 4K less than 6950. You may try contacting Itwares to confirm the warranty terms and also A.S.S as HIS is not that famous here in India.

hey sorry for the confusion.. didnt realize u just wanted a pick between the two cards .. was just giving general advice on how to go about buying a graphics card so u dont end up spending extra on something that doesnt make any visible difference... Well, if you strictly want a card which supports physx, go for the nvidia. otherwise, physx can also be run processor based, it just wont be as efficient as gpu based acceleration if u dont have a fast processor, which u seem to have.. .on the other, there are very few games that support GPU based physx acceleration.. rest, most of them still run physx processor based.. .I have an amd laptop and graphics card, with physx installed, its just that GPU based physx will be better. .nothing more..so if u fancy physx a lot, buy the nvidia..

lastly, as long as u get 40fps on whatever games u play, u wont see any visible difference in speed whether the games running at 40 or 100 fps.. not visible to the naked eye.. so u can buy the nvidia if it can run your games at a min. 30 fps, recommend.. 40fps..

If your primary need is gaming the go for hd6950 1gb hands down look for good brands though such as sapphire,msi,gigabyte..etc

and hey from where did u got msi z68-gd65-g3 board,,and for what price...is it good?

These are things which i found on various forums says that...
There is a 10% performance hit due to physx.
And one can use Nvidia cards like 8800GT or 9800GT along with their cards in CF or SLI to use them for physx.
By seing benchies in Anandtech both cards are similar in performance but 6950 is a bit ahead.

So if you are into 3d rendering and physx then definately go for GTX 560 Ti but with compromise in performance hit in physx titles if it is enabled.

Otherwise go for 6950 which is better,cool and has good OC potential.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

correction: came to know that the slow card(9800GT) when paired with faster card(560Ti) wont help at all instead it wil make it even worse.

thanks guys think will go with 6950

max

got the mobo for about 9k:eek:hyeah: its a good mobo think its current price is 11.5 something dont know got it at an awesome rate though:hap2:

betw i think u could use a secondary nvidia card as ppu in 5850 time does it still work on 6000 series or has nvidia fixed it??? anyone has any idea

Back