Windows Chrome uses 40-50% of CPU in background.

Sumit74

Disciple
I'm using Chrome browser since very long.
But now facing some problem.

From around last 1 month whenever i start chrome(after turning on computer) it starts using CPU 40-60% in background. Even after closing chrome.
I tried many things disabled all extensions , did a fresh install but nothing helped.
Now I just open window task manager close chrome running in background.
It's pretty annoying as i use stock cooler on my core i5 it gets pretty loud.

Anybody else facing above mentioned issue or something similar?
Or found some solution?
Please share.

Thank-you.

Could it be another app you installed or so called webapp or electron based app that uses chrome web engine to render the UI?

Try right click the process in task manager and select the show folder location which might reveal the offending app?

Could it be another app you installed or so called webapp or electron based app that uses chrome web engine to render the UI?

Try right click the process in task manager and select the show folder location which might reveal the offending app?
It's opening Chrome's folder.

Move to Edge browser, since Edge is also chromium based every extension that works with Chrome also works with Edge

Edge has some cool features like Collections, Screen capture, vertical tab browsing
I like chrome.
and it's in sync with my phone and PC with google account.
I use edge just to open pdfs lol, but ill give the edge a shot.

Chromium Edge is the browser to use on Windows right now. It's from the OS provider itself (one less party to trust as you are already trusting the OS provider), feature rich (Vertical Tabs, Collections, etc) and more secure than Google Chrome (WDAG, better sandboxing, better integrated with Windows Defender).

The only thing makes Edge difficult to migrate to for me is that it uses Outlook account to sync all the shit to. If one's already using Chrome from years they have all their shit on Google account synced. You can't just migrate that all over to Outlook as your primary Email. I know it's possible and easy but hard to do practically.

The only thing makes Edge difficult to migrate to for me is that it uses Outlook account to sync all the shit to. If one's already using Chrome from years they have all their shit on Google account synced. You can't just migrate that all over to Outlook as your primary Email. I know it's possible and easy but hard to do practically.
Sync with Chrome, then ask it to import all of chrome data. Also if passwards are an issue then you can export them to csv and import to outlook.

Sync with Chrome, then ask it to import all of chrome data. Also if passwards are an issue then you can export them to csv and import to outlook.
I know the process mate, that's not the issue. The issue is to switch your primary mail to Outlook and maintain that too across devices alongside your previous one.

What
I know the process mate, that's not the issue. The issue is to switch your primary mail to Outlook and maintain that too across devices alongside your previous one.
what is this outlook thing you are talking ? for Edge u just need a MS account, just move all the Bookmarks and history to Edge and login with MS account.. thats it

Thanks for all suggestions.
Actually i have chrome opera gx firefox edge brave all installed on my PC from long time.
But i mostly use chrome and opera gx sometimes for inbuilt VPN.
But now will try edge too since most of you are praising it.

Last edited:
Back